• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj 2.5l to 4.0l swap

trustjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and didn't find any information on a late model swap. Can any one tell me what I would need to do the swap? Someone said the engine, harness, transmission and transfercase. Just checking to see if I could get away with just the engine and harness.

trustjeep said:
I searched and didn't find any information on a late model swap. Can any one tell me what I would need to do the swap? Someone said the engine, harness, transmission and transfercase. Just checking to see if I could get away with just the engine and harness.
I'm not real sure, probably depending on if you have an auto or manual. The nice thing is on 97+ the wiring is gravy for the most part. They got rid of the firewall connector/fuseblock deal and made things a lot easier to work with. You for sure shouldn't have to swap the T-Case though. Maybe just the input gear so the splines match if they wouldn't already.

The 4.0 and 2.5l have different bellhousing patterns and had different trannies so it's not trivial to swap just the bellhousing. It would probably be cheaper, and certainly simpler to sell the 2.5l and buy a 4.0 Cherokee.

Back