• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start - Need help

orangegilly

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have a '94 with the 4.0. New starter last fall...never a problem since --- until today.

Checked the fuse box under the hood and under the dash, and all ignition-related fuses check out as fine.

I was trying to figure out a problem with the trailer wiring, and ended up blowing the fuse block maxi-fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Swapped it with the rear window defroster, and I have lights, buzzers, radio, head/taillights, and gauges, so seems like I'm getting power everywhere I need it, except the starter doesn't turn. Doesn't click like a dead battery does, either. Even tried jump-starting it to no avail.

Is there an inline fuse somewhere that would prevent power from getting to the starter? I'm stumped.

It started fine this morning after I blew the fuse, but not now.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
It sounds like your neutral-start safety switch has finally gone bad. This is located on the side of the transmission and keeps you from starting the jeep in any gear except park or neutral. Over time, they get dirt and water in them and the contacts can get so dirty that the jeep won't start at all. The part is quite expensive so be prepared. I had this problem and a new swithc fixed it.

Got it figured out....wasn't the neutral-start switch.

Apparently, the maxi-fuses under the hood control more than they are marked. I originally swapped the rear window heater (defroster) fuse for the fuse block fuse, and when I swapped them back, it started. The rear window heater fuse must control something to do with the starter.

Weird.

Back