• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj wont start

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
so last week when i was offroading i got my jeep pretty deep in water. about 3 inches inside and so it killed the alternator and i replaced that today now when i went to start my jeep nothing happened, the battery is charged, the lights come on and it beeps at me but not even a click or noise from the engine. so anyone know what happened? did i kill the starter or something else.

whip out the multi-meter and test from the relay to the starter and see if it is getting the proper voltage.
Just my guess.

cheap ones are 10 bucks on up to 100 bucks for a good one with bells and whistles.
I got a nice one from Home Desperate for 50 bucks about 7 years ago and it is still working like a champ.

or you could just take your starter into your loval auto shop and heve them test the solenoid in the starter. If the solenoid is bad cheap fix.....if the whole damn thing is shot not that expensive to replace. I would upgrade to a Power Master XS Torque starter. A little more expensive but worth it. Runs about $220.

Back