• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will '91-'95 ZJ intake parts work for my '94 XJ stroker project?

BigOrangeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have someone that is telling me he can sell me a '99+ Zj intake manifold, and '91-'95 TB and fuel rail from a Zj that he says will fit fine for my stroker motor I ordered from Titan engines. It is a 1994 motor. Does this sound right? I wanted the 99+ intake manifold for better performance, but not sure if using a ZJ manifold and Tb is the best idea

All the manifolds are interchangable on the head, but some of the sensors and vac. ports got moved around. Read this over:

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm

It should answer any questions.
You might want to look over the rest of his page too. lots of good info here.

BigOrangeXJ said:
I have someone that is telling me he can sell me a '99+ Zj intake manifold, and '91-'95 TB and fuel rail from a Zj that he says will fit fine for my stroker motor I ordered from Titan engines. It is a 1994 motor. Does this sound right? I wanted the 99+ intake manifold for better performance, but not sure if using a ZJ manifold and Tb is the best idea
Okay first off 99+ Grand Cherokees are WJs not ZJs, correct that guy. The intake will work on your 94 engine. You want to use an OBD-I throttle body and fuel rail because later ones had the MAP sensor on the throttle body and no fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Check out GoJeep's page like mentioned above and also check out this write-up...
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6355
Hope it helps,
Collin

RenixPower,
Do I understand that a 99+ intake can be adapted to the Renix engine? I have been told so many times that the computer inputs can not be fooled, so that it was impossible to do.

mikeforte said:
RenixPower,
Do I understand that a 99+ intake can be adapted to the Renix engine? I have been told so many times that the computer inputs can not be fooled, so that it was impossible to do.
Well yes, no and kind of. It will bolt directly to a Renix engine, yes. The ports will not line up unless you change the head to an HO style. Or you can run the way I do...with mismatched ports, in which case, it is absolutely pointless to even swap intakes at all, because you're probably actually getting less air. I don't really know why I did exactly, I think I wanted to have the different belt routing and eliminate the EGR valve. I've always intended to swap an HO head onto it, but at this point I'm going to just do a whole 99 engine I think. If you have any other questions Mike I'd be happy to answer them backchannel but I don't want to hijack this guy's thread to much. Feel free to pm me though.
-Collin

RenixPower said:
Well yes, no and kind of. It will bolt directly to a Renix engine, yes. The ports will not line up unless you change the head to an HO style. Or you can run the way I do...with mismatched ports, in which case, it is absolutely pointless to even swap intakes at all, because you're probably actually getting less air. I don't really know why I did exactly, I think I wanted to have the different belt routing and eliminate the EGR valve. I've always intended to swap an HO head onto it, but at this point I'm going to just do a whole 99 engine I think. If you have any other questions Mike I'd be happy to answer them backchannel but I don't want to hijack this guy's thread to much. Feel free to pm me though.
-Collin
Thanks,
Mike

Because now at the last second (after I paid for the items), the seller is telling me that he is mistaken and that the TB is actually from a '97 Grand, even though I specifically told him I was looking for a '91-'95 XJ. So I ended up paying for a brand new 99+ intake manifold, '97 TB, and '91-'95 fuel rail all meant for a grand cherokee. The guy (my best friend's uncle) who is doing the work definitely knows a LOT about engine swaps, etc., but I want this to be a pretty straightforward swap and don't want to have a lot of other complexities to add to the install. Should I email the guy and tell him to keep the '97 TB and get the '91-'95?

BigOrangeXJ said:
Because now at the last second (after I paid for the items), the seller is telling me that he is mistaken and that the TB is actually from a '97 Grand, even though I specifically told him I was looking for a '91-'95 XJ. So I ended up paying for a brand new 99+ intake manifold, '97 TB, and '91-'95 fuel rail all meant for a grand cherokee. The guy (my best friend's uncle) who is doing the work definitely knows a LOT about engine swaps, etc., but I want this to be a pretty straightforward swap and don't want to have a lot of other complexities to add to the install. Should I email the guy and tell him to keep the '97 TB and get the '91-'95?
97 the MAP sensor may not have been on the TB yet so you might be okay. I dunno though check around.

Back