• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent drag link. Upgrades?

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
523646691_171070745a.jpg

As you can see, my drag link is spanked. Are there any upgrades available? What's annoying is that nothing ever touched it, just too much stress apperantly.

Yowch on that currie stuff... guess I'll hit PAP.

I think the V8 Zj draglink is bigger. I need to re-build my steering soon. I am looking at doing the high steer upgrade using some ZJ parts.

techno1154 said:
I think the V8 Zj draglink is bigger. I need to re-build my steering soon. I am looking at doing the high steer upgrade using some ZJ parts.

The V8 ZJ draglink is identical in every aspect to a TJ, ZJ, or XJ stock draglink. The only variance in the steering components between them is a stiffer dampener on some models, and the solid tie rod found on the V8 ZJ.

Might be a good time to go OTK as well at 5" of lift. The more angle they are forced to work at due to your lift, the more stress on all the steering.

andrew2516 said:
looks to me like that lower thread might have been out to far...idk for sure though.

as for upgrades...check out currie

Well, to show less thread on the drag link I'd have to either show more thread on the ball joint or else get a longer turnbuckle. Does such a thing exist?

Gojeep said:
Might be a good time to go OTK as well at 5" of lift. The more angle they are forced to work at due to your lift, the more stress on all the steering.

OTK would be nice. Now is a bad time to do anything though because I'm flying overseas on Monday and I won't be back until late August :/ Guess I'll just drive the civic hybrid in the meantime.

n1ywb said:
As you can see, my drag link is spanked. Are there any upgrades available? What's annoying is that nothing ever touched it, just too much stress apperantly.

I had that happen once right after I first lifted it, but I thought I had the problem fixed. The reason it did it the first time was because the passenger side tie rod end hit the swaybar link during droop. I raised the swaybar links up a little over an inch and hadn't had that problem since, but; you may want to check to see if it has made contact again, perhaps I didn't raise them enough. I gave you a spare drag link and tie rod with the Jeep, both were from a V-8 ZJ. As somone said above the draglink is no stronger than the stock XJ part, the tie rod is stonger though (but probably not as strong as the Big Daddy Offroad tie rod on there). I know it looks like a lot of treads showing but that is where it needed to be to center the steering wheel, I think you could grind the master key out of the pitman arm and move it over a spline or two but I'm not sure of what ill effects that may have.

I'm glad to see that you are putting the Jeep to good use. Sorry this happened.

desertjeeper said:
, I think you could grind the master key out of the pitman arm and move it over a spline or two but I'm not sure of what ill effects that may have.

There are 4 keys which you can take a sharp triangle file to and cut splines into. One per each key. Then you can clock it one spline over to get your travel back. I do it fairly often when I use the WJ pitman on stuff.

n1ywb said:
OTK would be nice. Now is a bad time to do anything though because I'm flying overseas on Monday and I won't be back until late August :/ Guess I'll just drive the civic hybrid in the meantime.

Hey I pm'ed you. I have the stock steering laying on the floor of the garage. Let me know if your still interested in the draglink.

JCR 1 Ton is cheaper than the currie, but isn't a direct bolt in, you need to ream the knuckles and pitman. However, it's a simple layout and replacement parts are cheap.

Mark

Back