• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knuckle choice for my '90

wascobi

NAXJA Forum User
I'm changing the ball joints and brakes in a few weeks. my drivers side knuckle is buggered for the brake pad slides. what years and models can I grab at the wrecker that will bolt right in with my hubs and brakes?

thanks

Easy way to ID the knuckle is to look for a cast on vs a bolt on caliper mount. IIRC it's 84-89 and 90+ having the cast on mounts.

For my ZJ rear discs, there are clips that go over the ears to smooth out any roughness and improve the slide. You might also look into whether you can find these for you fronts. Raybestos made them - came in a little "brake hardware" kit with boots for the slide pins and the clips that go over the ears. You need a cooperative parts person willing to snoop around a little bit on their computer diagrams - that's how I was able to find these. The first part # resulted in clips that went over the contact ends of the pads (to widen the contact point). I returned those in exchange for the wide clips that covered the entire ear, top and bottom.

Also, some have welded a bead in the worn spot and ground it smooth.

Finally, if you are looking for a reason to upgrade to WJ knuckles and the dual caliper brakes, now may be your time!!

Last edited:
Back