• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring a 35amp switch. Question.

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a 35amp switch for my light bar. It has 3 prongs on the switch which aren't lablled. Its not a 3 position switch so I dont know how to wire it. I tried a fused 12v on the one end and the wire to the light bar on the other with nothing on and middle prong and keep blowing fuses. Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

does it have a light on it? if so, the middle is the power input, bottom is the power output, and the top is for a ground so the switch light will come on with power supplied.

First - USE A RELAY!

I can't stress this enough, if you don't use a relay you will fry that switch and could possibly start a fire!

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

As far as the switch goes the three prongs are for the following (but I have them in no particular order...)

1) Power - from a 12v power source
2) Load - This goes to the accessory - or more importantly the relay!
3) Ground - Hooking up the ground with make the light on the switch light up when you flip it - you do not need to hook up the ground in order for the switch to supply power to the load - you only need to hook up the ground if you want the light on the switch to turn on.

Are you sure the switch does not have icons on the side that indicate where things go...?

Yeah, relay is key. I had a cheap set of wally world lights hooked up for a while (still sittin there on my bumper, but just not connected since I tore my interior out and forgot to reconnect them, whoops) but even with just the 20$ POS lights i had the switch would get hot to the touch, so I simply stopped using them. Get a relay, locate it somewhere under the hood, and run wires from there. I know there was a pin layout for the relays somewhere on here.

Back