• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 yoke problems?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

i had a buddy over the weekend who had a u-joint break on him while going down the road. we thought no big deal, replace it tomarrow, and hell be back on the road. well we went to put it back in, and noticed on the yoke there are 2 tiny little pieces of metal which raise up, and keep the caps on. well one of them somehow broke off. now i guess if we have to we can replace the yoke, but we would have to get a inch-pound torque wrench, crush sleeves, new yoke, etc. is there any way to fix this yoke. that little piece of metal i wouldn't imagine would see much stress. the c-clips do most of the holding the cap on

thanks

This happened to me, but you dont want to know how i fixed. to get me on the road quickly I had taken a very thin aluminum wrench, and put it between the u join and the yoke, then bent it up over the u joint cap. this should work, but he needs a new yoke

The little piece that broke off helps to keep the U-joint cap from walking off the trunnion, and then causing the U-joint to self-destruct. As for replacing the yoke, you can do it by counting the number of threads visible on the pinion, then switch the yoke, turn the nut back down to the same number of threads, and then go about another 1/4 thread past that. I have changed several this way, with no bad effects to date, including my DD that is also my favorite for wheeling.

There are no c-clips and think about the centrifugal forces at say 3000rpm!

I believe he meant "straps and bolts".

woops..yea, i meant the straps and bolts do most of the holding on...and i like the idea of counting the threads, and then putting the new one on. anybody know if one from a d35, is the same as the chry 8.25

You might want to look at your Buddy's TC very closely. My rear U-joint went out on a lunch hour and it took out the straps (they stretch), the pinion yoke (they stretch too) and the TC. I found some damage on my NP242 but, it was a little more than I first thought.

ea7ea0e9.jpg

ea7ea17b.jpg

ea621e7b.jpg

ea53cb5c.jpg

I learned alot in my first month of Jeep ownership and I have only had it for 5 months:eek:

get a new pinion, ( one with strap kit is nice). you dont need the in/lb. and crush sleeves would require rebuild. get a new oil seal, hit it with a air gun. done.

Hey, F9K9. Dude, you have managed to trash more parts on your Jeep in the last few months than I have in years. Can I ask where you learned to "drive"? BTW, nice T-case. BTW, man, are you "in" for the June 9th ride?

RyanM said:
get a new pinion, ( one with strap kit is nice). you dont need the in/lb. and crush sleeves would require rebuild. get a new oil seal, hit it with a air gun. done.

I followed those same instructions on my 8.25" and had the compressor limited to 90 psi and when I tried to turn the yoke I discovered it was locked up tighter than a drum. What did I or the po do to cause that?

I got worried about it and pulled the rear diff and hauled it to have the crush sleeve replaced. I learned alot in the process and I redid the rear brakes (another relearning process) which, were in desperate need.

You most likely pulled the pinion gear into the bearing hard enough to "lock" it. Air gun is bad ju-ju for working on the yoke (at least, during reassembly).

ren said:
You most likely pulled the pinion gear into the bearing hard enough to "lock" it. Air gun is bad ju-ju for working on the yoke (at least, during reassembly).
At least you have reassured me that I did the correct thing. AND I did land a deadfall hammer since then and will tackle it myself if, the need arises.

F9K9 said:

Yeah, you law enforcement guys are not exactly easy on vehicles :laugh:

Since you were USFS, did you ever have to do any off road driving courses? Or just the standard high speed car stuff? Just curious.

Since your pinion didn't budge, you did make sure your gear set wasn't damaged and locked up, didn't you?

BTW, we are still trying to plan a trip out your way!!! Maybe you can show me those trails you keep breaking on... :laugh:

And to wishihad1, I agree with IntrepidXJ in that your buddy could just tack the cap in place temporarily to get around until he gets a yolk. This is a common mod on a front axleshaft as a permanent solution to the stupid half circle clips, so I don't see why not. Just get a new yolk ASAP.

I have a yoke that broke the same way. I was planning to cut out a half circle of thick steel and weld it where the little tab used to be. I'll take an old u-joint and put it in place and use a thin shim to make sure it's not too tight. I'll clamp the repair piece on over the shim and weld it on. I think that will be a good long term fix.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Yeah, you law enforcement guys are not exactly easy on vehicles :laugh:

Since you were USFS, did you ever have to do any off road driving courses? Or just the standard high speed car stuff? Just curious..................
I had the Border Patrol's off road course but, I had it before most of the members here were born:laugh3:

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Since your pinion didn't budge, you did make sure your gear set wasn't damaged and locked up, didn't you?
I backed it off, made sure it rotated with relative ease, yanked the axle out and took it to an allegded professional and he said it was ok.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
BTW, we are still trying to plan a trip out your way!!! Maybe you can show me those trails you keep breaking on... :laugh:
I have not wheeled where I suggested you check out but, join http://kymc.org/phpBB2/index.php and announce when and how many will be going on the ride and they will definitely provide you more support than you could ever imagine. I am a member of a chapter that is a little closer but, will meet you there for the ride.

Back