• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which gauge cluster will work?

Re: WHICH GUAGE CLUSTER WILL WORK?

97 and up...................do a search

' 97 and up are a simple swap. Just pull the old one and plug in the new. Took me about 15 minutes to get full gauges instead of idiot lights.

97 and up XJ will work, as will TJ clusters but for the exact cluster that has all the idiot lights in the proper location, only 97-98.5 will work in your 97. In mid-year 98, the sentry key warning light was added along with a 'rear hatch open' warning light on the XJ cluster. A few other warnings light were repositioned along with their pin location so this makes the wrong light illuminate for the wrong reason.
If none of this matters to you (like with most people), just grab any 97+ XJ cluster or TJ cluster.

Thanks for the info guys... I did do a search xj, thought there might be more information out there though.

JEEPZZ said:
...A few other warnings light were repositioned along with their pin location so this makes the wrong light illuminate for the wrong reason...

sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know exactly which ones changed? the only ones I really care about working properly are the check engine and e-brake, but if all kinds of goofy stuff lights up when you put the 99-01 cluster in a 97 I'll just keep looking for the right year...it just seems like there are tons of 99-01 clusters on ebay and not too many 97/98s...it also doesn't help that I'm picky and don't like the look of the TJ guages vs the XJs :(

ok, I went ahead and ordered an 01 cluster for my 97 and everything seems to work correctly except I think the check guages light comes on instead of the check engine light and the rear hatch light stays on all the time, so I'm just going to pull that bulb out...I haven't noticed anything else, but I'll post if I do

Back