• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine starting problem

Throttle

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else had a problem with their 4.0L starting? When I try to start my truck the first time, no matter how long I crank it for it doesn't start. As soon as I try starting it the second time, it fires up instantly....???

Any idea's? I'm thinkin maybe a clogged fuel filter?

Ive seen this happen on Dodge trucks. my brother in law had the same problem and so did a friend. they both replaced the fuel pump. one of the vehicles never did it again, the other still has to be double cranked before it turns ove.

Does it do this only when the engine's cold? What about if you drive around to warm it up and then shut the engine off. Does it need the double start then?

yeah thats what I'm thinkin... gonna be lots of work on the truck this weekend... new rad... new fuel filter... wire in fan.... WOOHOO BEER AND WRENCHIN!!!!

Throttle said:
Anyone else had a problem with their 4.0L starting? When I try to start my truck the first time, no matter how long I crank it for it doesn't start. As soon as I try starting it the second time, it fires up instantly....???

Any idea's? I'm thinkin maybe a clogged fuel filter?

What year?

Any other problems with the engine, performance, acceleration, power, gas mileage, weird noises......?

Nope. Doesn't seem like its effecting anything else. Mind you the volts are a little low, I think I need a new battery. Would that make a big difference?

I once had a car with a bad ground that would need to be "double cranked" every time... that is, until I replaced a ground. It seemed that every time the engine bounced around it shook the ground enough to temporarily make a connection. so check all underhood ground straps.

Throttle said:
Nope. Doesn't seem like its effecting anything else. Mind you the volts are a little low, I think I need a new battery. Would that make a big difference?
If you are using any gas pedal at all when starting stop, leave the gas pedal alone.
If you aren't using any pedal, try about 1/8th pedal during start and see what happens. The IAC may be sticky and /or the voltage a little low, keeping it from the proper park position.
How does it idle after it starts?
Do a fuel rail bleed down test. How long does it take to loose half the pressure after turning the motor off, does the fuel pressure go all the way down to zero?

Back