• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear tow hooks

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
anyone have any ideas for rear tow hooks or know of where you can get them? i know i can always just get a reciever hitch bolted on, but i dont think ill ever use it and i would just rather have some hooks

Mopar made a factory rear hook that went on the driver's side. Even though you don't think you'll need it, go with the hitch. The hook has an opportunity to bend, whereas the hitch is tied into both frame rails. There are many advantages to a receiver setup. You can also use it as a hi-lift jacking point. I never thought I would be towing much, but I've used my hitch countless times. I've rented a trailer from u-haul to move something around town. I rented a tow dolley for $20 when my car broke down. Opportunities will arise once you have the option to tow.

Opportunities will arise once you have the option to tow.
=====================================
I don't know how I lived without mine.

Or maybe D rings and not hooks. Hooks love to hang on EVERYTHING.

A quality aftermarket rear bumper will have tow points incorporated into it. I'm much more comfortable with that than putting a tow hook on unreinforced sheet metal.

I don't know how I lived without mine.

Agreed. I didn't even mention that I ended up buying a popup camper. I also fabbed up a receiver mounted vice.

123fs547224.jpg

Sorry to take this off topic, but you really can't beat the versatility of a hitch.

If you are looking for a cheap rear tow point, head to the salvage yard. You'll most likely stumple upon a rear tow hook, or receiver next to nothing. I picked up my draw-tite hitch for $35. I'm sure the factory tow hook would be cheaper. If you get the tow hook, be sure to grab the nutstrip that goes inside the frame rale. This means that you must remove the bumper to gain access to the nut strip. If you go for a hitch, you might want to look for the nut strip as well. They tend to be riveted to the frame rail though...

Markos said:
Agreed. I didn't even mention that I ended up buying a popup camper. I also fabbed up a receiver mounted vice.

123fs547224.jpg

now that looks useful!!!!!
i'm gonna make one this weekend.

Back