• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some air box ideas

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
so my wife just got her T&T Customs tube fenders for her 97 TJ today. well the wheel wells are flat into the engine bay at the same line as the fender, and then angle down towards the alternator. the instructions say that you CAN NOT use the factory air box, and it really doesn't fit. the problem we're having is that we just recently installed a snorkel. so now i have to find some way to enclose a filter in a small area and still be able to use the snorkel. so a open cold air intake obviously won't work.

one idea is the K&N apollo intake
RC-5052AS.jpg

but it's currently out of the budget. anybody got any ideas???

search on here for paint can airbox. use advanced and sort by relevancy.

One of my friends used an ammo box, they're waterproof and pretty small. You can also put a K&N cone filter into it.

I would like to adapt a airbox from a piece of construction equipment (any off road construction type engine air box) they are an excellent filter system (usually multiple filters) and they have a round inlet and outlet to go from your snorkel to you filter system to your intake on the engine. It would probably take some fab work and you might have to search for one that would fit but it would be an excellent system when complete. I know that there have been other discussions for them here in the past a search might help bring them up.

Michael

applo from summit racing is about $98.

The silver one pictured is discontinued. They have a black one to replace it.

BACK ORDER TILL JUNE 28TH!!!!!! And I ordered mine april 4th.

Look at your local salvage yard for a late model - 95 up - mustang air filter that uses the cone element, especially for the 5.0.

After staring at all the likely places to put one, and taking measurements, you should be able to see at the yard if it will fit. It uses a readily available filter, and you can upgrade to K&N if you like.

The early model Ford X's use a smaller housing that fits pretty well under the hood, just make sure to take the duct work to/from the airbox, as the ducting going to the airbox has a funky "rectangle" opening. As for the MAF sensor hole on the box, I used one of those "ricer- fits-all" style hose adapters to hook to the factory hose.

This is perfect! I switched to a open cone filter and the longer i use it the more i worry about sucking in some water spray. I'd love to convert it so its compatible with a snorkel but i trashed the stock air box a long time ago. Keep us posted on what you come up with!

Back