• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The ever wonderful "growling" sound...

i30nes

NAXJA Forum User
Well as the message states. I am attempting to figure out what could be the cause of this ever annoying problem. This sound only seems to show up when making left turns and accelerating. I have jacked it up to see if theres any play in the wheels and didn't find a thing. Just a thanks ahead of time.

i30nes said:
Well as the message states. I am attempting to figure out what could be the cause of this ever annoying problem. This sound only seems to show up when making left turns and accelerating. I have jacked it up to see if theres any play in the wheels and didn't find a thing. Just a thanks ahead of time.

From where on your XJ does it sound like it is coming? Left from wheel or transmission area or have you got a coyote caught under your Jeep some where who is only annoyed when you turn left????

what year and specs? is the sound coming from the front only?

do you ever get vibes or just the growling sound? How did you check for play? Jack up the front just a few inches till the tires are off the ground. Stick a crobar or something underneath the tire to see if you have movement from top to bottom. If so, your unit bearings are going out.

grinding or noise on deceleration usually means ujoints for those lifted jeeps with NO SYE.

OK, let me put a different spin on it.

My XJ makes a growl as well....only when turning left, only on acceleration. Steering wheel is 25-45% turned to the left at the time of noise....usually happens when I'm trying to pull out of a parking lot. Mine is definately front end noise...just have no idea where. No hard/flat spots in the steering, either. No vibes that I can recall. Very infrequent, but happens often enough to scare me.

89 XJ, fully stock

*edit*
Forgot....I also have a squeak from left front.....very very faint while going straight, loud and annoying when turning in either direction. I do believe that's a wheel bearing, though.....don't know if it's related at all

"jack up a tire, grab onto the top and bottom of the tire, and wiggle it. There should be no play at all. At the same time you can spin the tire. It should rotate freely and not emit any grinding noises"

p160611_image_large.jpg

mikeforte said:
From where on your XJ does it sound like it is coming? Left from wheel or transmission area or have you got a coyote caught under your Jeep some where who is only annoyed when you turn left????

Well if there was a coyote in Florida then thats somethin new to me... But I have jacked it up and alas... No play which is whats throwin me off on this.

And djblade311 its a stock 99 cherokee sport. No suspension mods or anything just bone stock.

Back