• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weak/Cracked Spring? Pics

Limited89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
The pictures don't do any justice for the rear right corner of the Jeep. Could it be the spring? The shocks are probably stock, but they're all still bouncy... I haven't had it on any hard trails. What do you think? I will post better pics if needed. (yes those are studded snow tires, and yes they are coming off...very soon) :lecture: :wave:

Not so saggy side...
jeep004.jpg

jeep003.jpg

Saggy side...
jeep005.jpg

jeep002.jpg

Those springs do look tired. BTW, shocks are to control or limit the bounce in the springs. No shock absorbtion and the springs cycle wildly.

I'm working on the Rock Lizzard budget boost:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

I did the rears two weeks ago. The results got me stoked, it's really nice to feel the road while cornering. I did the front this past weekend...not what I'd hoped. It's going to take some re-evaluation before I call it good; too many mods in the works.

I guess this gives me another excuse to lift it. I will probably throw on a Rubicon Express 4.5 superflex with some 32 inch MT/R's this summer. But I really don't want to lift it without a dana 44 and 8.25. Hmm.

When I got my '90 XJ, it was the same deal. I actually drove the Jeep for quite a while on negative arched springs. Not fun. It just gave me an excuse to install a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift with full leaf packs ASAP. :cheers:

If it's not hitting or binding anything, drive it 'till it drops. I have shiny spots where the parking brake cable and exhaust pipe were rubbing. With the thing parked in the driveway, I could put my hand on the wheel and rock the Jeep back and forth. That minimal effort had the springs wrapping, especially on the passenger side...and mine looked better than these pics.

I'm not saying to do what I did, but I am saying the little I did do was well worth the effort and minimal $$$. Mine's gotta get the groceries, maybe work a little, definitely play a little.

stop wheeling it. was that serious. the weak springs is causing wrap. the axle wrap is putting excessive force on you alread bent springs. also strain on the drivetrain. search bastard pack. you could add a leaf or two out of another pack.

Back