• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake controller install lessons learned

martin

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ Pioneer, 4.0, AW4, NP231 and when I got in 97 from my Dad's estate it had a 1 1/4 square receiver hitch with a rusted draw bar in it.

Over time I installed a trailer light isolation box (draw-tite pn 18146) with a #10 wire for power directly from the battery. This had the 4 pin connector for a trailer.

About a month ago I decide I may want to pull a travel trailer with electric brakes. I researched and find I need the 7 pin connector. I need a 7 pin connector, need 12 volt power to the 7 pin connector and run a wire to the fuse box area for the trailer brakes.

REAR CONNECTORS

I picked up a Hoppy Brand Multi-tow adaptors, has 4 & 7 pin connector – Hoppy brand PN 37815 http://www.hopkinsmfg.com/37185.html This is good I have both connectors, no need for a converter except for a 6 pin connector.

I also got a Box to mount Vehicle connector to cross tube of the hitch Draw-Tite PN 18159.

I picked up some of the plastic wire wrap at harbor freight to protect the wires.

I have all the connections inside the draw-tite box and only run wires into the chassis. I go into the rear quarter panel though the 2 inch opening behind the rear wheel. I then ran a wire from along the driver’s side to the kick panel for the electric brakes.

ELECTRIC BRAKE CONTROLLER

I did some research on-line and at the local RV dealers and overall people were saying buy the Tekonsha Prodigy http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html I found it for less than $100 by doing a google search. This is a proportional controller so it has to be mounted in line with the vehicle direction of travel. It has to be mounted with the display end at zero to 70 degrees from the horizion.

I find I can mount the control at the bottom of the dashboard, below the cigarette lighter. There are two holes in the dash, most likely placed there by AMC for a brake controller. I used the pocket mount 7686 http://www.tekonsha.com/tbsaprodacc.html . I have the unit horizontal, figured I was good.

I wired it up the controller with the universal harness. Glad I have the factory manual to help me find the right wire to tap for the brake light signal. I even found the connector in the fuse box used for the factory tow package, and used it. The manuals paid for themselves again!

I drive around and find going up a steep hill by me the controller said it was too low an angle. I wrote Tekonsha tech support and they tell me the unit needs installed at an angle.

I get some maple, cut a 30 degree wedge, drill two holes to attach the block to the dash, and then two more holes for wood screws to mount the pocket mount. With the wedge installed no more “too low” flashing of the unit.

I just wanted to everyone know if you install the Prodigy controller you should use a wedge to make sure it will work correctly UP hill and DOWN hill.

Back