• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting locking and unlocking at 60mph cruise

seanof30306@yahoo.

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ auto
81,000 miles (all road)

Two days ago, my daily driver XJ started popping in and out of converter lockup at 60 mph on cruise control.

At 60, it normally cruises at 1900 rpm. Last week, it started occasionally jumping 50 rpm or so, then go right back. The frequency and variance of the jumps is increasing, now jumping between 100 and 200 rpm while the speed remains steady. You can feel it locking and unlocking. When the converter unlocks, the rpms sometimes hold steady at the higher rpm, and other times it wanders around, oscillating up and down in a random manner.

On the way home from work last night it was worse than ever. The converted didn't lock up for the first time for several miles, then, and it constantly cycled back and forth between locked and unlocked. On Sunday, though, I drove nearly 200 miles with the cruise set on 50, and there was no problem at all.

I don't know whether this is related or not, but, I've been writing an article on improving gas mileage, and have been doing some "experimenting". Several weeks ago, I started putting the transmission in neutral and coasting with the engine at idle up to stop lights, and on long downgrades on the highway. Last week, I started shutting it off entirely in those situations and coasting with the engine off. I noticed that the odomoter doesn't register ground covered when coasting with the key "off", so I started switching the key off long enough to kill the engine, then switching it back "on" while I am coasting.

I can't really see how coasting could have a negative mechanical effect on the transmission, especially when I've done it so little, but, I also think it's a little coincidental that it would start having problems right at the same time when I start hypermiling.

I'm wondering if it could be something as simple as needing to reset the pcm?

Can anyone help?

seanof30306@yahoo. said:
96 XJ auto
81,000 miles (all road)

Four days ago, my daily driver XJ started popping in and out of converter lockup at 60 mph on cruise control.

At 60, it normally cruises at 1900 rpm. Last week, it started occasionally jumping 50 rpm or so, then go right back. The frequency and variance of the jumps is increasing, now jumping between 100 and 200 rpm while the speed remains steady. You can feel it locking and unlocking. When the converter unlocks, the rpms sometimes hold steady at the higher rpm, and other times it wanders around, oscillating up and down in a random manner.

On the way home from work last night it was worse than ever. The converted didn't lock up for the first time for several miles, then, and it constantly cycled back and forth between locked and unlocked. On Sunday, though, I drove nearly 200 miles with the cruise set on 50, and there was no problem at all.

I don't know whether this is related or not, but, I've been writing an article on improving gas mileage, and have been doing some "experimenting". Several weeks ago, I started putting the transmission in neutral and coasting with the engine at idle up to stop lights, and on long downgrades on the highway. Last week, I started shutting it off entirely in those situations and coasting with the engine off. I noticed that the odomoter doesn't register ground covered when coasting with the key "off", so I started switching the key off long enough to kill the engine, then switching it back "on" while I am coasting.

I can't really see how coasting could have a negative mechanical effect on the transmission, especially when I've done it so little, but, I also think it's a little coincidental that it would start having problems right at the same time when I start hypermiling.

I'm wondering if it could be something as simple as needing to reset the pcm?

Can anyone help?

I have a question - not related to your question really....but....

Why did it concern you that the odo was not reading while the engine off?

I wouldn't turn off the engine while braking because-

No vacuum. You only have a few pushes on the break before it gets stiff.

It probably uses more fuel to restart it later

No power steering

Your transmission isn't being lubricated. I believe the oil pump is powered by the flywheel....unlike the transfer case oil pump, which is powered by the driveshaft.

seems to me if mileage is that important to you than a differant vehicle would solve the problem as xjs seem notorious for poor mileage my girlfriends 05 malibu gets 34,35 on the road (v-6) at 70 mph has more h.p. than the xj pisses me off but she cant go offroad though, i had probs with my lockup (t/c) it ended up i had to rebuild the tranny but the jeep had about 295,000 at the time it only gave me about 4 mpg better economy see if there are any codes stored in the computer

The problem is most likly a bad TPS. My Dakota had the same symptoms and ended up being the TPS. There is a way to check it with a digital volt meter, but I don't know the procedure.

Blaine B. said:
I have a question - not related to your question really....but....

Why did it concern you that the odo was not reading while the engine off?

I wouldn't turn off the engine while braking because-

No vacuum. You only have a few pushes on the break before it gets stiff.

It probably uses more fuel to restart it later

No power steering

Your transmission isn't being lubricated. I believe the oil pump is powered by the flywheel....unlike the transfer case oil pump, which is powered by the driveshaft.

Because it made me wonder if what I was doing would have an effect on the pcm. Apparently, it did. I went by AutoZone and had them check it for codes. There weren't any.

I called a buddy of mine who is a mechanic at a dealership. He said the problem could be caused by the sensor that acts as a neutral safety switch. According to him, that's how the PCM knows what gear the car is in. If I shut it off while the car was still in gear, then restarted it in neutral, it could cause a problem. He recommended resetting the PCM, then, not coasting with it shut off anymore. He also said (as you did), that there is no lubrication in the transmission when you do that.

I was running late for work, so I didn't get to reset the PCM, but, I don't think I have to. The problem has totally cleared up.

As far as it taking more gas to restart it than to let it run, that may be true with a carb, but not with efi.

I doubt it screws up the PCM when you turn it off while coasting in gear, then restart in neutral.

I'm sure it happens when people stall out while driving. It wouldn't change anything.

Maybe the OD was just a coincidence with turning the vehicle off while coasting?

I'm not sure how the odometer gets its signal (straight from the speed sensor, or from the PCM, which gets it from the speed sensor) but it is electronic, so turning off the vehicle might affect that (why it wasn't reading when the engine was off)

Although I know plenty of people who rack up miles on their vehicles towing them behing RV's. The engine's aren't running on them, so why are they racking up miles?

I don't know!

Blaine B. said:
I doubt it screws up the PCM when you turn it off while coasting in gear, then restart in neutral.

I'm sure it happens when people stall out while driving. It wouldn't change anything.

Maybe the OD was just a coincidence with turning the vehicle off while coasting?

I'm not sure how the odometer gets its signal (straight from the speed sensor, or from the PCM, which gets it from the speed sensor) but it is electronic, so turning off the vehicle might affect that (why it wasn't reading when the engine was off)

Although I know plenty of people who rack up miles on their vehicles towing them behing RV's. The engine's aren't running on them, so why are they racking up miles?

I don't know!

All I can tell you is I've coasted more than a mile, a number of times, with the ignition off, and the miles don't register.

Also, I've now driven over 60 miles NOT shutting it off and coasting, and the converter is no longer locking and unlocking; it's again running perfectly. The converter problem started when I began doing it, and quit when I stopped. Unless it starts again, I think it's reasonable to assume they're related.

Back