• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help

pkannon

NAXJA Forum User
New to the forum and to owning a jeep. I have a 1988 cherokee. I am going to perchase a lift in the next few weeks as soon as i decide which one. I have been looking at he rough country 4.5 inch. There are some options that i dont know how big of a diffrace it makes.
What are the pros and cons of a add a leaf or a new spring pack is the price diffrance woth it?
I dont do any hard core rock crawling so are new upper and lower controll arms necessary?
Are there any other lift kits for under 700 that would be better like most everybody i want the best for my money with out breaking my bank.

Thank you,
Kannon Parks

I went with the 6.5 lift on mine, (rough country) it comes with lower an upper arms that adjust, track bar, shocks, look at the pic of it...
I have put on about 10 lifts of this size over the last 4or5 yrs.
they still enjoy off roading with it

Well first off congrat's on your new purchase. I believe you will be quite impressed with how well your Cherokee performs with or with out a lift kit.
As fas as the lift kit goes, if you are running a 4.5" lift I would highly suggest running new control arms upper and lower. I believe you will enjoy the ride much better than the stock stamped arms with clunking upper bushings. With the rear of the vehicle I must again advise on the option of a better ride. A full replacement leaf pack will be much more enjoyable on and off-road. You can definetly get away with an add-a-leaf if the budget is of concern though it will result in a rougher ride. What size tire are you looking to run?

Welcome to the Jeeping world!

I'd go with new spring packs; they'll last a lot longer than add-a-leaf lifts and they'll flex better.

IMHO you don't need upper control arms, but lower arms are recommended. (I think the kit includes them...) The nice thing about the RC kit is that it includes pretty much everything you'll need for the lift, including a TC drop ( I think.)

I've helped install several RC lifts, and a few from other manufacturers as well, and I have to say that Rough Country isn't bad. Yes, there are better kits out there but they cost more. There are cheaper kits, but they aren't as good. I like RC, and would run it on my own Jeep if I had the cash. (Mind you, I'd rather run OME! Lotsa folks love them.)

HTH!

:)

XJPhoenix said:
Welcome to the Jeeping world!

I'd go with new spring packs; they'll last a lot longer than add-a-leaf lifts and they'll flex better.

IMHO you don't need upper control arms, but lower arms are recommended. (I think the kit includes them...) The nice thing about the RC kit is that it includes pretty much everything you'll need for the lift, including a TC drop ( I think.)

I've helped install several RC lifts, and a few from other manufacturers as well, and I have to say that Rough Country isn't bad. Yes, there are better kits out there but they cost more. There are cheaper kits, but they aren't as good. I like RC, and would run it on my own Jeep if I had the cash. (Mind you, I'd rather run OME! Lotsa folks love them.)

HTH!

what is ome?

pkannon said:
what is ome?

Ack!

Sorry...

OME is 'Old Man Emu', an Aussie company that sells high-end, smaller lifts. (2-3") Their kits usually include new springs and shocks, and that's about it (depending on the dealer you buy from.)

It may just be hype, but I've read lots of good things about them.

i love my OME stuff and i will continue to buy from them they make great quality and very smooth riding equipment. Very nice stuff:thumbsup:

-Kyle

Best price, bar none, on OME stuff is thru Dirk at DPGOffroad.....plus, he's a great guy and knows his stuff!!!

If you want a bigger lift, I'd highly recommend his trailgunner springs....I'll be going with those when I get back from Qatar in a year :)

Back