• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift options?

Serveck

NAXJA Forum User
some time this summer i would love to do a small lift on my XJ to fit some 31's, and i was wondering which is the least expensive/descent quality lift i could do on it? also, what do i need to do a 2-3" lift on it? and can i do all/most of it myself? im going to be getting another car as my DD so this can just sit in the driveway while being worked on.

i found this website (http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html) claiming a good 3" budget lift for 149$, is it worth it, or is it just going to cause problems in the future. what would be the best budget lift <$200 lift i could do? thanks

Serveck said:
some time this summer i would love to do a small lift on my XJ to fit some 31's, and i was wondering which is the least expensive/descent quality lift i could do on it? also, what do i need to do a 2-3" lift on it? and can i do all/most of it myself? im going to be getting another car as my DD so this can just sit in the driveway while being worked on.

i found this website (http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html) claiming a good 3" budget lift for 149$, is it worth it, or is it just going to cause problems in the future. what would be the best budget lift <$200 lift i could do? thanks

i would go with a 3" kit and avoid AAL's, they will cause sagging of your stock packs over a short period of time and will be the cause of a much stiffer ride in the rear end. Myself i have a 3.5 RE superflex kit with full packs and i love it, it clears my 31's very nicely and its performance is top notch.

definatly consider RE, but stay away from AAL's
-Kyle

there is sort of an approved progression path here.

spent that money on sliders and wheel it stock for awhile.

then get a set of rusty's 3 in coils and build a bastard pack for the rear. sawzall as needed for 33's regear to 456 or 488. save up for lockers, or put in lunchbox lockers.

then some sort of prefabbed lift kit in the 5.5 to 6.5 in range. more sawzall 35 in tires. whine about 488 not being deep enough. break axles regularly

then cut off extranneous bits of body replace with tube, fourlink rear, threelink front, massive axles(dana60's 14bolt that sort of thing) tcase doubler, 42 in tires minimum.

that is pretty much the path you have set upon. individual steps may vary, but the overall path is pretty much like that.

ooh man i forgot the most importnt part.

at each point you have to say to yourself.

"i only want to do this once. this is as far as i am going to go. I'll never go bigger than (insert whatever size is two inches bigger than what you have) tires."

Cheap Lift

I dont know if this help you but I have an 89 XJ with a skyjacker 3.5 lift. I just bought a 2 in lift to complement it. Spcers & new shackles for $ 89.00 at 4wheelerssupply.com. I have bought a lot of stuff their for both my 89 xj & my 78 cj. Great prices free shipping.

Hope this helps, good luck

Kenny
Vancouver, WA

Back