• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Xj shuts off at start.

Xj89Rj

NAXJA Forum User
When I start it up.. I have to pump it and then if I let go of the throttle it dies.. even if I ease off it dies.. But once I get it in gear and start driving it idles PERFECT!! I'm not sure what's going on.. Maybe intake?? :banghead:

Xj89Rj said:
When I start it up.. I have to pump it and then if I let go of the throttle it dies.. even if I ease off it dies.. But once I get it in gear and start driving it idles PERFECT!! I'm not sure what's going on.. Maybe intake?? :banghead:

fuel press reg???
smell rich?
black smoke?

Try swapping some relays around and see what happens. One of the relays parks the IAC in the start position.
And then spray some oil down the IAC opening with the motor running and see what happens. Maybe take the IAC out and clean it.
A bad or disconnected TPS can also do this. As can CPS or MAP problems, not to mention the EGR and the ballast resistor.

Xj89Rj said:

You are saying that when it is in drive, stopped, foot on the brake and not on the gas, and it is idling, that idles normally? But acts up while it is in park?

Mud8, I have actually started mine with the TPS disconnected, and it starts and idles just fine. It only pucks if I hit the throttle with the TPS disconnected.

When I'm starting it up.. It cranks.. if I'm holding the throttle. As soon as I let go, it stalls.. Even if I hold the throttle for a min.. It's hard to keep it from stalling.. But.. If I start in Nuetral and get it in gear it stays running and even idles when I stop.. It's like it has trouble starting when it's cold.. but If I drive for an hour and stop for 5 mins.. it gives me grief again.. I'm gonna get on the rest of these things mentioned.. If theres any more ideas, please let me know.. Thanks.

Be sure and start at square one, check the batery cables, battery posts, clean and tighten if needed, check and clean the grounds on the engine and firewall.

I am wondering if a dirty neutral safety switch can cause part of this problem? Try starting it in neutral.

Last edited:
Back