• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil presure issues

Tribal4x4

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i am having trouble with my oil pressure dropping. i know i am using some oil, but i dont think its as much as i originally thought. i checked my oil and i had more than enough in there. someone told me to check my oil pump screen cause they get clogged. i havent gotten that far yet. my oil pressure keeps showing a drop to around 20 or so allthe time now. any ideas?:dunce:

A rule of thumb is, 10psi, per 1,000 rpm. Mine dips to 20 also when warm, has done it for years, and it has been fine. It shouldnt be getting under 13 before you should become concerned.

Some oils thin out more in hot weather than others. The oil pressure sending units are known weak spots. It may be loose bearing in the crank and connecting rods. Most XJ's after 130-150,000 miles loose a little pressure.
The gages and sending units are notoriously unreliable. I always double check with a mechanical gage, before I even think of tearing anything apart.

the only thing that bothers me though is that it starts shake a bit at times. i was sitting in the drive through for the bank and the pressure dropped and the jeep shook a bit and puffed out some blue smoke.

Tribal4x4 said:
the only thing that bothers me though is that it starts shake a bit at times. i was sitting in the drive through for the bank and the pressure dropped and the jeep shook a bit and puffed out some blue smoke.
The hot idle oil pressure is very sensitive to RPMs, but your two problems are unrelated. You can get the oil pressure up by using a little thicker oil if it is just engine wear causing the pressure drop, but a plugging oil filter can reduce the oil pressure too so try changing the oil filter, and don't use Fram oil filters, use Mobil 1 and K & N, they are the best.

Your other problem is an early sign of igntion parts failing, plug wires, rotor, cap, TPS perhaps, even a dirty air filter can add to the problem. If it is a pre 91 model, the EGR can be causing, contributing to the shake, blue puff of smoke at idle... but these are not related to the hot idle oil pressure being down to 20 psi.

Last edited:
My 98 has issues with the oil pressure as well. It will drop to about 5psi then surge back to about 20psi and wobble around some. The motor doesn't make any noise and it doesn't burn any oil so I know it's the sender. BTW, my jeep only has 78k miles.

are the sending units know to go bad? i just replaced it like a year or two ago. two people have been telling me that it could be a broken ring on one of my pistons but i dont know. gotta sell some stuff before i can rebuild.

Tribal4x4 said:
are the sending units know to go bad? i just replaced it like a year or two ago. two people have been telling me that it could be a broken ring on one of my pistons but i dont know. gotta sell some stuff before i can rebuild.

The sending units do go bad, also the wire connection gets bumbed and loosened when changing oil filters. What oil are you using, brand, type, viscosity? It may be time to increase the viscosity of what you are running.

Piston rings problems will burn oil, but will not cause low oil pressure. Low oil pressure is only casued by a lack of oil, caused by too little oil in the pan, a worn oil pump, a clogged oil pump inlet screen, a clogged oil filter, worn bearings, and or oil that is too thin (worn bearings and worn rings need higher viscosity oil, or replacement if they worn too much).

i usually use valvoline high mileage 10w40 with a fram filter. i have noticed that it does it at idle or when i slow down. when i have my foot on the throttle, it is right around 40psi. i dont really drive it hard either. well not in the last year or so. i will change my oil this weekend and move up to like 20w50 or so and check that plug for the sending unit. if that doesnt work i will pull the pan and check the oil pump screeen. and then...( yes theres more) if that doesnt work then i guess its time for a rebuild or possibly a small deisel swap( heh heh heh)

My 97 has 150 K miles. The hot idle pressure is always about 13-15. I switched to 10-40 with no change in pressure. I run the longer NAPA Gold 1515. Which is about 6.5 qts.

Maybe, I will try the Mobil 1 filter next.

Tribal4x4 said:
i usually use valvoline high mileage 10w40 with a fram filter. i have noticed that it does it at idle or when i slow down. when i have my foot on the throttle, it is right around 40psi. i dont really drive it hard either. well not in the last year or so. i will change my oil this weekend and move up to like 20w50 or so and check that plug for the sending unit. if that doesnt work i will pull the pan and check the oil pump screeen. and then...( yes theres more) if that doesnt work then i guess its time for a rebuild or possibly a small deisel swap( heh heh heh)

Jeeps minimum factory spec for oil pressure for the 4.0 is 13 psi :shiver:. So if you still have 20 psi at hot idle, and a good pressure gauge and sensor than you are still OK. Sounds like your gauge and sensor is working if your getting 40 psi cold and higher rpms, and 20 psi at hot idle with a used engine, most gauge failures read zero or over 80 psi.

But if you are like me and have trouble sleeping at night think of your poor 4.0 having such low oil pressure, the fix is easy. I run 20W50 plus a quart of Lucas oil additive in the summer in mine. And then just 20W50 in the winter. I have 248,000 miles, and I get 22 psi hot idle, 30-40 psi hot cruizing, and 60 psi at cold engine start up.

I had only 10 lbs of oil pressure one day when I freaked out and stop using 10W30 and Fram filters. If you are in a real hot climate where cold weather starts are not an issue, you might try straight 40 wt, or 70%/30% blend of straight 40/50 wt. I am actually thinking of going back to single viscosity oil this summer and trying about 4 quarts of 40 wt with 2 quarts of 50 wt here in Houston, to see if the oil pressure is more or less stable from hot to cold operation than the 20W50. An ex-mechanic from a Chrysler Jeep dealership here suggested it to me yesterday, and I had already been considering it.

I am starting to think there is a problem with the polymers the oil companies are using now, a problem with viscosity loss under high shear in our engines at high temperatures that is contributing the low oil presures so many of us are seeing at hot idle oil pressure. They use some kind of synthetic polymers to get the multiviscosity effect, but I have read that they can break down over time from shear forces (and possibly oxidation?). Any way this ex Jeep dealership mechanic said the 4.0s would run forever on straight 40 wt dyno oil! That is of course with regular oil and filter changes.

We crossed paths at a muffler shop yesterday. He also told me that Chrysler has had a lot of problems for years now with cat converter warrantys, and that it was a Jeep factory defect. Hmm.

Unfortunatley it may be a very long time before that 4.0 dies and gets replaced with a diesel.:(

Oh, and get rid of the Valvoline, it is well known for sludge and wax :( build up in engines. I use Exxon and Castrol :loveu:, and they are available in the 20W50 dyno oils.:sunshine: If I had a new engine I would probably use Mobil 1, 10W30 in it!

Great news, contgrats, but Details man, Details, :( Please? Inquiring minds want to know!

What oil did you go with, what filter, how much pressure is decent????:cheers:

Tribal4x4 said:
well i changed my filter and oil and the pressure seeems to be decent, thanks for all the input
You may only think that you are the one reading the answers to your inquirys, but there are lots of people with similar problems to yours and when they do a search for that problem they will see that you say that you have solved the problem.
Tell everyone what you did to get the results you were after so that the other people who read this now, and in the future can benifit from your experiences.
What oil, filter and what pressure is decent? Did you change to something we should all be changing to? What asbout the sending unit, did you find a loose wire or did you replace it? Which brand of filter did you end up using to help with the increase in pressure?
Give everyone the details.

ok, sorry about all the suspense just wanted to get some excitement:laugh3:
i am now using castrol GTX 20w50, a mobile 1 filter and thats all i did . sending unit plug was fine. my pressure runs between about 37- 42 psi now. seems to be running good.:cool:

Tribal4x4 said:
ok, sorry about all the suspense just wanted to get some excitement:laugh3:
i am now using castrol GTX 20w50, a mobile 1 filter and thats all i did . sending unit plug was fine. my pressure runs between about 37- 42 psi now. seems to be running good.:cool:

Impressive, most impressive, Obiwan has taught you well indeed!:cheers:

Back