• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 xj with high idle

buzxj

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 xj has recently started idling around 1250, and get this, if i apply brakes
4 or 5 times it will idle up to 1500 and stay there for a while. If i disconnect the battery and restart it will idle normally. The only thing it have done recently is remove and clean the throttle body. Any ideas? First guess, TPS? It is a manual 4.0 with 176,xxx miles. This thing is finally ready to get back out on the road, and now this happens. Stupid heep!

Sounds like it may be a vacuum leak in your brake booster. Check the hose from the intake to the booster. Pull the hose at the intake and securely plug the vacuum connection - DO NOT DRIVE IT like this, as you will have no vacuum assist on your brakes. See if the idle settles down with the vacuum connection plugged. If it does, it's your booster.

X2 on the brake booster.

Back