• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the diff between a 4.0ho and a standard 4.0?

millertime

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at picking up a 1990 xj with 213k mi for 15-16 hundo and i have a spare ho motor just sitting in my basment, If i can swap parts what do i need to make the non ho motor into an ho motor?

thanks,
-Jesse

Well, to truely convert it, you would have to swap EVERYTHING, including all wiring, computer etc... This would be a real PITA for the small (~10hp) power gain.

Mine is a 90 too, when my good old Renix bit the dust, I put in a 4.0HO from a 93. I just used the old intake and electrical. Basically just replace the long block. This was not bad, I did all the work and got it runnung by myself in one day (it was a long day though...find a friend to help...lol).

I did notice a power gain although it wasn't huge. Runs much better now though!

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Well, to truely convert it, you would have to swap EVERYTHING, including all wiring, computer etc... This would be a real PITA for the small (~10hp) power gain.

Mine is a 90 too, when my good old Renix bit the dust, I put in a 4.0HO from a 93. I just used the old intake and electrical. Basically just replace the long block. This was not bad, I did all the work and got it runnung by myself in one day (it was a long day though...find a friend to help...lol).

I did notice a power gain although it wasn't huge. Runs much better now though!

I have the complete motor including ecu, wireing and sensors, so it pretty much a straight forward swap then right? Is there anyway to swap a 99 intake mani and bored tb onto the older non h.o. motor? they dont make a bored tb for the non h.o.'s so im guessing theres something different i just dont know what?

Im guessing id notice a pretty big difference in power on this one being that it has so many miles and the spare motor i have is cam'd, billet valve train, ti valve springs, longtube header, and im pretty sure has the 99 intake and bored tb.

please let me know and thanks for the help so far,
-Jesse

I'd agree with trail ready, when I built my stroker I used a 95 HO motor and put it in my 90. Everything swaps over except the throttle body and the sensors on it. You'd be better off using the HO motor but the Renix intake.

Although, it wasn't ahrd to adapt the Renix TPS to work with the HO throttle body.

jeepnuts311 said:
that price is way too high for that jeep, IMO

-Tim

its got a newly installed 4.5 lift, and new 33's on it, motor only has 140k on it and its the limited i believe with power seats,windows,doors, overhead council so im going to try and get it for less but thats what hes asking. The only real problems i could find with it were it wondered on the road (guessing a combo of no front sway and bad alignment?) and the brakes were pretty weak. other than that it seemed michanicaly sound.

thanks for the help guys.
-Jesse

Blaine B. said:
I just took my swaybars off and it doesn't wonder at all.

The biggest question I have is - How did you get an engine in your basement?

His garage is also his basement. Split level entry type deal.

Jesse I don't think I would pay more than $1000 for that thing, maybe $1200?:cheers:

millertime said:
Im looking at picking up a 1990 xj with 213k mi for 15-16 hundo

millertime said:
its got a newly installed 4.5 lift, and new 33's on it, motor only has 140k on it and its the limited i believe with power seats,windows,doors, overhead council

lol there is a big difference between the first post and the second one, and a huge mileage discrepancy.

in any case, i wouldnt pay more than 12 or 1300 for it.

-Tim

Back