• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Freshen up" a NP 242???

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I feel like a bandit! The local self serve yard has everything 1/2 price, I found a T-case for our '90 Limited. Both out-puts had barely perceptable lateral play; best I've seen, better than what it's replacing by far. The donor is another '90, 185k on the odometer, looked to be rolled. There were no off colors or smells in the trace of fluid that didn't drain, no excessive weepage at any seal area.

So the question is, what should I inspect, and/or replace before changing out the units? I didn't notice at the time, can the (auto) tranny output seal be changed without taking anything else off?

TIA, Mike

I'm curious about that too, got leads on two of them out of 99's, $150 for both with driveshafts. Thinking about putting one in my 98XJ and another in one of my TJ's, though there may be a clocking issue on the TJ.
What usually fails on them ? that 'diff' thats inside that allows for the full time slippage ?

When we had my 242 apart for the SYE install, it was recommended to me to change the little plastic pads on the shift forks. They cost ~$36.00 and were a PITA to change. The ones that came out looked perfect (140K on the truck it came out of). I would skip that unless they are obviously worn. Other than that, I guess check the oil for scary particles and make sure the chain is not stretched.

mecompco said:
They cost ~$36.00 and were a PITA to change. The ones that came out looked perfect (140K on the truck it came out of).

=O I bought mines here for considerably less as long as you can wait for them to arrive...
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cherokee/TransferCaseNP242C.htm
BTW: #4 in the diagram is for only one piece. You'll need to buy four for one complete TC along with #5 & 6.

When I replaced mines, they too looked perfect and didn't really need changing. Oh well.

The only things I can think of would be the shift fork pads (they're Nylon, and should be replaced out of hand,) the chain (could be stretched, but why not just reset the clock?) and check the differential (I'm not sure how, offhand.) Replace all three seals out of hand, you're there anyhow. If there's no perceptible runout, don't worry about the bearings.

Hypoid said:
can the (auto) tranny output seal be changed without taking anything else off?

Yes, just need to pry it out. I did the one on my AW4 before installing it. My memory is vaque, but I think I ran a screw into it and pried on the it to pop it out. I think the seal was like $6?

Back