• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing... Recommendations???

rosco

NAXJA Forum User
What brand of gears would you recommend and why? I am regearing my '98 XJ (D30 & Chryco 8.25) to 4.56 gears for 33" tires. along with an ARB locker in the rear. Also, Is it true that I have to get a new carrier in front to accept 4.56's? if so, what is the cost of a new carrier? I know some might recommend putting a locker in front as well but I wouldn't want to put anything but a selectable in front and I can only afford the one selectable for the rear.

get a different selectable than an ARB and you can afford two for the same price lol [of course, ARB has the quality]

a carrier is around 75 bucks, maybe cheaper. just make sure its one that will fit that ring.

rocklandxjer said:
get a different selectable than an ARB and you can afford two for the same price lol [of course, ARB has the quality]

a carrier is around 75 bucks, maybe cheaper. just make sure its one that will fit that ring.

If I knew of a cheaper selectable I would go that route... the only other one I know of is the OX for the same price.

Yeah you'll need a 3.92+ carrier for the front (approx. 60.00)

Look for Spicer or Precision if you want to spend some $$$$

Just stay away from Genu"whine"..... just my $0.02

Also why selectable for the rear? worried about tire wear or snowy conditions? just curious.

no wonder you get :flame::flame:'d And yes the Electrac is for a Jeep Axle the Dana 44 DUHHHHH :laugh:

Buy a used/pre-owned ARB--I've seen several used or new in the for sale forums. You've already got the rear one, so the compressor expense has already been absorbed.

I just bought a new set of Spicer 4.56 R&P and was pleased to find it came with most everything needed to install (except for the two bearings that come with the ARB) so even though they were a little more than other brands, it came out about the same or less not having to buy an install kit.

uncc civilengineer said:
Also why selectable for the rear? worried about tire wear or snowy conditions? just curious.

For the selectable I chose the rear just because when I do need to use the locker it won't sacrifice manueverability like it would in front. I do tight and twisty trails sometimes with a wall on one side and a dropp off on the other and a front locker could send me sliding. The chryco can hold up to a locker a little better anyways.

uncc civilengineer said:
If anything the selectable should go in the front... a rear "lunchbox or automatic" locker should not have any sacrifice in manueverability...

I only have the cash for one locker right now and IMO the rear should always get locked first. I have heard of annoying pops & clicks with automatic lockers and I want to keep this rig somewhat of a pleasant highway ride.

Ive run a full detroit in my wrangler for over a year....Ide do a ARB in the front and a detroit in the rear. On the highway, you dont notice a detroit, your dirving straight...Its around town you notice it, but once you learn how to dirve it...its perfectly fine. It sounds like you need to think it over a little more. Being locked in the rear doesnt affect turning radius on the trail, not that ive seen anyway. I know when I do my axles, im going ARB in the front and detroit in the rear.

Motorvated said:
Ive run a full detroit in my wrangler for over a year....Ide do a ARB in the front and a detroit in the rear. On the highway, you dont notice a detroit, your dirving straight...Its around town you notice it, but once you learn how to dirve it...its perfectly fine. It sounds like you need to think it over a little more. Being locked in the rear doesnt affect turning radius on the trail, not that ive seen anyway. I know when I do my axles, im going ARB in the front and detroit in the rear.

I know being locked in the rear doesn't affect turning radius THAT'S WHY I'M PUTTING ONE IN THE REAR! because a front locker would... I'm doing it for that very reason. If I ever do lock the front it will be selectable also. But I think the rear will do just fine for now. The only reason I would use a front locker would be when the rear wasn't enough.

rosco said:
I know being locked in the rear doesn't affect turning radius THAT'S WHY I'M PUTTING ONE IN THE REAR! because a front locker would... I'm doing it for that very reason. If I ever do lock the front it will be selectable also. But I think the rear will do just fine for now. The only reason I would use a front locker would be when the rear wasn't enough.

Or, if you wanted your jeep to have "real" 4wd...

Back