• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas mileage difference in a stoker motor??

JeepinAaron

NAXJA Forum User
My 4.0 is about shot. I am looking to drop in a new engine and am having a hard time deciding between a 4.0 and a stroked 4.6. One big deciding fact is if the stroked motor would have better or worse gas mileage than the 4.0.

Its a 2000 XJ, auto, 31's, 3.73

probably going to 32's some day and maybe 4.10

Any thoughts?
-Aaron

RyanM said:
why is your 4.0 shot? you got a 0331??:D

Actually, yes. I have no oil pressure. I have spend the $500 in trying to diagnos the problem, which was my max limit. I dont see any cracks in the block...and I'm not going to fix this engine and spend any more $$ on it. New engine time...need reliability.

I lost maybe 1 or 2 mpg with the stroker, but I think its cause I have a heavy foot now.

The oil pressure gauge is probably just boned...happens all the time. If it's reading 0 and you've driven it for more than 3 minutes iwithout the engine siexing its the gauge.

Check the oil pressure gauge or toss on a cheap mechanical gauge from Autozone to check what the pressure really is. The gauge in the dash is not anywhere near accurate compared to a mechanical oil pressure gauge, even the super cheap ones found at the parts store.

As for stroker gas mileage... If you can keep your foot out of it, you will have the same or better gas mileage. I had a built 4.0L motor (cam, head work, go fast parts) and I was averaging right at 15 or 16mpg driving around the city and highway. With the stroker and same setup I could get 17 or 18mpg if I behaved myself. If I got a little excited with the throttle it would drop back down to the 15mpg range. Now I am currently running 35s and 4.10s and the stroker and get a solid 15mpg no matter if I am in the city or on the highway and am behaving myself most of the time. If you do the stroker, dont buy a Crane cam! Hesco all the way :)

AARON

I have already spent a considerable amount of time trying to diagnose my current engine.

I have already confirmed with a manual gauge that after the jeep is hot that my oil pressure is 5psi at idle. I replaced the oil pump, main bearings...etc etc. not spending any more $ on this engine. it has 100k on it.

Right now just trying to decide if i want to drop another 4.0 in it or go to 4.6. I'm leaning more towards 4.0 for reliability, gas mileage, and less likely to break parts off-road with the extra power.

-Aaron

one of my cherokees has been running at 5 psi at idle for 2years now, she's still chugging along

Inisadow said:
one of my cherokees has been running at 5 psi at idle for 2years now, she's still chugging along

What oil do u run in it?

What gas mileage do you get? I'm only getting 13mpg.

If your going to spend the $$$ on a full engine rebuild you might as well stroke it out...it wont cost a whole lot more....if your tossing in a junk-yard ready to go motor....keep er' stock. Do the manifold while you have it out though.

You will not loose any reliability with a stroker if you keep the stock cam and springs. I have not seen or heard a stroker failure due to the bore or stroke. All failures have been due to improper oil with a high lift cam and stiff valve springs which can happen with a 4.0L motor or a 4.6L motor. Dr. Dino here on the forum has a stroker with the stock cam and valve springs and its still up and running strong with no relibility issues that I have heard. If you really want to do a stroker right, research what you want out of the motor, and then buy QUALITY parts. I pieced my stroker together with parts from various venders and I highly recommend Hesco products. They will help you set it up right. I wish I went to them when I built my first stroker motor. AVOID Crane no matter what motor you build.

AARON

Last edited:
Aaron where you at in NC? I have 225k on mine and I only get 20lbs of oil pressure when driving. It drops some when sitting. Mine smokes to but it keeps on going. I would be willing to lend a hand pulling it if your close to me.

Back