• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squealing/screeching noise in reverse

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
I get a very loud squealing/screeching noise when I drive in reverse. This only happens if I havent driven it in a while and it's cold. If i move forward then reverse to try to make it do it again it usualy won't. It sounds like it's coming from the tranny area but it's hard to tell. Maybe I need to replace the rear brake pads? This is a lifted heep with the RE H&T, but that was done a year before the noise came about.

What kind of transmission? My peugeot sounds like it's going to asplode when it's in reverse, and I get a bad wobble as well, but luckily I don't use reverse much.

Rear brake shoes? Dont like to stay adjusted properly....Take off the drums, clean em up and re-adjust. You might find a leaky slave cylinder in there gunking up the works too....

I would say chekc your drum pads, then your rear wheel bearings. I had a 89 with the same sounds and after a $700 referb tranny and u-joints, it was found that the wheel bearings would only make noise in reverse. New bearings and the noise went away.

Why would P brake only do this in reverse? Im curious because I want to know what's causing mine.

Also, my P brake takes like 8-10 knotches to stop my XJ. 5-7 and on a slight incline it will still roll. So it seems like its not giving enough braking..

Yeah, same here.....

You need to adjust it.

The adjuster bolt is kinda seized on mine though. I'm too lazy to melt the nylon inside the nut to get it off and replace the nut.

I don't use the parking brake anyway. Except when doing work and I know it's good when it's all the way up.

The P brake can hang lose or tight. It may hold it may not. Clean and lub. Replace all worn parts. THEN!!
If cable is tight?
Loosen it so it flops a lot. <-do this step, few do
Adjust shoe to drum clearance.
Then adjust cable tension.
Do each step fully and all of the P brake problems will go away. Get lazy or cheap, you will be wasting your time.
==========================================
Also, my P brake takes like 8-10 knotches to stop my XJ. 5-7 and on a slight incline it will still roll. So it seems like its not giving enough braking..
=============================================
Sounds about right for a old unadjusted cable?

Back