• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Rear Quater Guards

dlarrivee

NAXJA Forum User
In trying tip remove the rear quarter guards on my 2001, I've come across a little bolt that holds them on near the front of the guard itself. That in itself isn't a huge deal, except for the fact that it's recessed into the guard about 1.5 inches and no socket I own will do the job.

Anyone have any ideas?

Got any pics? What guards would you be speaking of?? Been awhile since I took off my rear bumper, and end caps, but maybe I could help a brutha out:wave1:

If you are talking about the bolt in the recess at the bottom of the rear bumper cap nearest the wheel well, you need a deep socket 1/4", or it might be a deep socket 10MM. I forget which it is, but the deep socket the right size for the head will fit in there.

100_0101.jpg

The black plastic chunk.

10mm deep socket sounds about right I guess...

It's been awhile since I read my own tech article, but it says 1/4" deep socket for that screw in the bottom.

dlarrivee said:
In trying tip remove the rear quarter guards on my 2001, I've come across a little bolt that holds them on near the front of the guard itself. That in itself isn't a huge deal, except for the fact that it's recessed into the guard about 1.5 inches and no socket I own will do the job.

Anyone have any ideas?

I used a 1/4" deep 1/4" drive socket to remove mine. If you're not going to reuse them, grip it and rip it.:dunno:

The bolt I'm talking about is not 10mm, I have a 10mm deep socket and it wont even fit into the hole the bolt is recessed into...

The bolt I'm talking about is right near the back side of the fender flare?

i wasnt going to keep mine, so i just got the screws i could, and ripped it off, and got that one after it was off....

Now that's the way to work on an XJ.
Cut what you can, Armor the rest.
:cheers: Good on ya.

Back