• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unexpected grease during lift

StockJeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm finally making StockJeep a little less stock and have an unexpected discovery.

I'm putting a used RE 3.5" lift under a 97. I took all the steering stuff apart like it says in the direction, then carefully lowered the axle to get the OEM springs and LCAs off. Once I got the new LCAs on and raised the axle several inches, I noticed a bunch of grease had apparently squeezed out of the front propeller shaft into the U-joint at the front axle. I wasn't expecting that.

After thinking about it, I've decided maybe I should have disconnected the shaft before lowering the axle darn near to the ground. Is there a chance I've done some important damage? As an aside, how does the front shaft deal with length changes? Is there some kind of slip joint in that boot that's down by the axle?

One last thing. Any advice on tightening the Driver's side, shock absorber nut that's under the hood? I can't get a deep socket on it because of the brake cylinder(?) above it, and there's not enough room around it for a wrench.

Thanks in advance.

-Glenn

Yeah, there's a slip joint in the boot. At least, I'd assume so, I've never seen a slip joint that is booted. Anyways, you didn't hurt anything.

There should be a grease nipple there somewhere to put some more grease in it. Give it a couple pumps. It doesn't need to be full, it jsut gets squeezed out as the shaft travels if there's an excess amount in it.

Personally I never grease mine anyways, but that's another story.

DirtyMJ said:
Personally I never grease mine anyways, but that's another story.

I have had one sieze up before, that was a nice $80 repair I didn't need. It was siezed TIGHT no amount of hammering or air hammering could move it. I always grease the shit out of it now, especially after a wheeling trip. I might be to lazy to grease it all but I always do both slips :).

BlueCuda said:
I have had one sieze up before, that was a nice $80 repair I didn't need. It was siezed TIGHT no amount of hammering or air hammering could move it. I always grease the shit out of it now, especially after a wheeling trip. I might be to lazy to grease it all but I always do both slips :).

My driveshafts don't have a long enough life expectancy to bother.

Thanks XCM.

That's what I ended up doing. Of course, it wasn't until after I got all pissed off thinking I was going to remove the entire brake cylinder... I disliked that idea so much I stuck a wrench in there, waggled it around a little, and thought "this would be a lot easier if I pulled the airbox." DING, on went the light bulb.

Back