• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new interior?

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
so last night offroadin i sunk my jeep in a deep mud pit. i had about 4 inches of water inside and we got out as much as we could when we pulled my jeep out of the hole. today i stripped out the interior and pulled the carpet and im wondering if for a daily driver i should put it back in, or go with a rhyno lining instead. i dont know about heat and sound issues and i dont want antyhing to crazy cuz i do drive this jeep everywhere. also after we got out the alternator stopped producin power (the gauge on the dash went to 0) and my battery died halfway home. could it be anything besides the alternator?
-alex

let the carpet dry and do a bed liner coat on the inside. Cut the carpet so it can be put in/removed w/o pulling the seats.

Alternators HATE mud and water, time for a new one! It will happen to all who play in mud at least once.

yeah guttin the interior today was probably the most annoying thing ever. do they make alternators that put out more power then the stock ones incase you want to run alot of lights?

As for your situation just get a box fan and put it in your Jeep with the windows down. Get a new alternator or perhaps you could rebuild the old one if you are so inclined.

But honestly, get a junker for mudding that has no purpose besides shits and giggles.

I've got an '84 Toyota 4x4 truck on the side of my house that serves no function besides getting thrashed every now and then.

Wash the alternator in fresh water before you blow money on a new one please...

x2 I had that problem with the alternator with my old xj after sinking her deep. i was tight on cash so i took it out, open it up, and cleaned all the parts that came in contact that were basically dried up mud and such..... after that it worked great again....

napa sells "lectra-motive" electrical parts cleaner, its made by CRC. other stores might sell it too but i dont know, i just know we have it. that will clean the mud out of your alternator. it works very well on starters too.

just a word of warning, if you've never taken apart an alternator, and this is your DD, dont just pull the bolts off and yank it apart. find a writeup online somewhere. if you pop the brushes out its a major pain in the ass to get them back in right if you dont know what you're doing.

Go the bedliner route. Rhino or Line-X would be the best options (cause they can go on thick). Carpet in a rig that sees mud or water is a waste of money.. and time.

alexer03 said:
do i have to worry bout the transmission heatin the floorboards up to much with no carpets?

It will get toasty inside with no carpets. They do make one piece rubber with insulation, same type as used in the govt models or at least the ones the MP's used till 02...

Go to Costco or somewhere and pick up a couple of the thick rubber anti-fatiuge mats. Cut them to fit the floors. getting your feet of the metal makes a huge dif.

alexer03 said:
do i have to worry bout the transmission heatin the floorboards up to much with no carpets?

tranny shouldnt be too warm. You can get piece of DEI reflective matt from summit and make sure you clean up the underside really well. It has adhesive backing. Also one of my cargo vans is just rubber mat floor up front, tranny is right between the seats i never feel any heat from it. It does have original reflective matt and some cloth foam backing for the doghouse/engine hump.

definitely check into some reflective heat shields, and get one for above your exhaust pipe (might be able to make use of a ZJ junk yard one, they are well made and you can trim to fit the floor from about the cat to the mufffler, then buy a heat shield for the muffler. Thats gonna be the source of the most radiant heat.

don't even take the alternator apart, just run clean water over it for starters

please buy,make a reflective heat shield my xj had a small fire inside because I went off roading and hit the muffler got too close to the body and 45 min later in the driveway I had a BBQ :(

Back