• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Cherokee won't start.

gromer

NAXJA Forum User
Battery is at 97% charge so it isn't the battery. I replaced the battery clamps and it still won't start. What it does is sits there turning but never turns over. Could it be a fuel issue? From what I've Googled, it looks like the fuel filter is on top of where the fuel pump goes into the tank, is that correct? Anyone have some other ideas for troubleshooting steps I can do? I disconnected my started and had a friend hold the key over while I had my voltmeter on it and it only went down to 12.0V on the clamps. Thanks guys!

Do you get a spark? Remember that both the crank and the cam sensor are problem children in late XJ's, and if one fails she won't run.

my cam sensor went on my 98.. jeep would just crank but not turn over..

Bzamora said:
Do you get a spark? Remember that both the crank and the cam sensor are problem children in late XJ's, and if one fails she won't run.

What's the easiest way to check for spark? Everyone was telling me cam position sensor, but now it could also be the crank sensor? This is going to get expensive.

Okay, so I checked for fuel pressure on the valve on the rail. Did it without trying to start it and it emptied the rail as expected. Had my friend try starting it while I had the valve open and nothing came out :( Anything I can do besides drop the tank for the filter/pump?

An easy way to check for spark is to pull a plug wire, and using an old spark plug, insert it into the plug wire then let it rest against the valve cover or other metal. When you crank the engine you should see the spark across the electrodes. Some people like to remove the side electrode on their test plugs so they can see the spark more easily.

I don't recommend pulling an existing plug from the cylinder, just in case the sucker suddenly decides to start up.

Bzamora said:
I think it's time to get an OBD-II code reader, and find out what HAL says. :)

Do you know if I can rent them from Autozone? I can't buy one, I don't have the money for that right now :(

eddieeddieg said:

Thank you SO much!!

Bzamora said:
An easy way to check for spark is to pull a plug wire, and using an old spark plug, insert it into the plug wire then let it rest against the valve cover or other metal. When you crank the engine you should see the spark across the electrodes. Some people like to remove the side electrode on their test plugs so they can see the spark more easily.

I don't recommend pulling an existing plug from the cylinder, just in case the sucker suddenly decides to start up.

Awesome. I don't have an old plug so I'll drop by the store and buy one.

One more thing, can anyone verify the location of the fuel filter on a 2001 Cherokee? I've been reading it is on top of the tank in the '01's. If it is, how hard is it to get to without dropping the tank? I'm going to be selling it soon :(, so I need to fix this.

Again, thanks for all the help guys, you're life savers!

Back