• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to replace this bushing/joint???

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
First of all I dont really know what this joint is called; grease bushing,drag link end? I dont know, but I do know I need to replace it. Its on the end of the drag-link and I know it will have to keep replacing it because of the geometry and angle of my steering. Im looking into new steering now but I need to replace this first? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2872329600100669327S600x600Q85.jpg

Mine's shot too. You need a whole new drag link. Not sure what lift specs you have but I'm at 4" and was encouraged to get the ZJ drag link and tie rod. My angles are a little off as well so I'll need an adjustable track bar too. After some research, I have found that the ZJ and XJ drag link are the same. The tie rod is beefier on the ZJ. Not sure why the drag link for the ZJ is more expensive but it is and it's the same. Does that help?

Exactly what I needed, not what I wanted to hear haha but its what I needed. Im at about 4.5-5" and I have the adjustable tracbar. Looks like ill be buying a new drag-link then. Gives me a little push to just buy whole new hd steering. Have you looked into steering upgrades at all?

Yes I have but for what I do...mostly exploration and not "wheelin" I don't need anything silly. Curries stuff was about double what the ZJ stuff was gonna run me. The ZJ tie rod is quite a bit beefier. I also don't know if I want heims on my DD. I don't know that I really need anything over the knucle anywho. At least not at this point.

Yes. The tie rod is bigger and it's solid too instead of hollow like ours. The threads on the TRE's are also quite a bit burlier.

Anyone know if the above ZJ parts would be a direct fit for a 1988 XJ? I've really got to do something about my front end too.
Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but thought it was appropriate to ask rather than start another one

-------------------------------------------
1988 XJ Cherokee Laredo 4WD, 4.0 litre ...and it's stock

I think they do but I'm not 100%.

Back