• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem Finding Lebaron Vents....

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Called just about every junkyard i could find and NOBODY has them. So are they any GOOD LOOKING alternatives? Not some home depot air vents ghetto-ness. Functionality and looks are def my friend. And nothing over $40. thanks

be pacient

Cherokeekid88 said:
Called just about every junkyard i could find and NOBODY has them. So are they any GOOD LOOKING alternatives? Not some home depot air vents ghetto-ness. Functionality and looks are def my friend. And nothing over $40. thanks

Don't call your junkyards, go wander. Lots of vehicles used hood/fender vents of one kind or another (Datsun, Pontiac, Chrysler, etc). Find one you like the looks of, you could probably walk out of there spending less than $20. Even if you don't find one you like, you might stumble across some other "treasure". IMHO, spending a few hours in the local pick-n-pull is a great way to pass the time.

If they have an industrial section wander thru there too. Look for vents that slide open and closed, alot of diesels and generators use them for cold vs hot weather operation, some are part of a full panel and built in, others are removable where you just cut a hole and put it in.

What's wrong with home depot vents? :) They only cost 8 bucks!! They were pretty flimsy at first, but after cutting the holes in the hood and cherry maxxing them to the hood(it's a pull fastener, kind of like a rivet) they work great. If something ever pushed on them, they'd probably cave in, but yeah. Good luck in your search!

I actually have thought about using those buick fender vents in the fenders, eliminates water and snow issues it's just they are so darn expensive but their size is perfect. I think I'm subconsciously putting off cutting holes in my body work :D :D :D I still cringe at every new dent.

Auto quality air vents are always heaveir duty than home HVAC or foundation vents. They are designed and built to put up with stupid stuff, like the neighbor kids playing billy goat gruff on the hood. No damage, no liability.

Lots of yards are now crushing out much sooner for the scrap prices, and older cars like Lebarons are disappearing as a result. Look at the lesser used rural yards - you may need to expand your search radius 20-30 miles - but what kind of fun is it when you don't have a short trip to tick city on a Saturday morning looking for parts.

I still kick myself for not snagging a complete factory outside spare carrier in Alabama for $20 when I was mobilized down there.

What about stainless boat vents from a local boat shop? Has anyone used these? I used then years ago on a CJ i built. They worked great for that application. They come in all shapes and sizes. I plan to use them on my XJ at some point. Has anyone encountered a problem using these?

Watch the Classifieds here on NAXJA. Somone has a set up for grabs all the time.

Hale

I like the oblong ones.
2353969.jpg

But, I just bought some Lebaron vents and I have a set of 280ZX Turbo vents sitting in my utility room that I'm thinking of getting rid of.

Good suggestion on the marine supply house. There's a West Marine near my work, I'll be stopping there next week to check out their vents.

fubar XJ said:
Good suggestion on the marine supply house. There's a West Marine near my work, I'll be stopping there next week to check out their vents.

See if they have any that will open and close besides those round ones.

The LeBaron vents are exactly the same as those from the NEW YORKER. Try looking for those too and you'll probably have better luck. Mine are from a New Yorker and I love them.

Back