• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure gage

Prowler said:
It's dead. Will a censor fix this problem?

Is it reading zero or 80 psi? What year is it?

sounds as though the sensor or the wire going to it is shorted to ground. the sensor is a variable resistor that has less resistance with greater pressure-- so if it's pegged on high, there's no resistance to ground-- sounds like shorted wire.
--Shorty

First off if the wire to the sensor comes loose, is loose, dirty and not making good electrical contact it will cause your problem (very common). A burned out, open sensor (common) will cause your problem as will a broken wire (less common).

I would start with those three possibilities first! Oil filter change can accidently knock the sensor wire loose.

Ecomike said:
First off if the wire to the sensor comes loose, is loose, dirty and not making good electrical contact it will cause your problem (very common). A burned out, open sensor (common) will cause your problem as will a broken wire (less common).

Ecomike-- did I get it backwards? I thought grounding the wire would cause high reading. I know temp and fuel wouk that was and assumed oil did as well:dunno::dunno::dunno:
--Shorty

I will check and clean all that stuff at next oil change...(next week) And hopefully it works Thanks all!

Shorty said:
Ecomike-- did I get it backwards? I thought grounding the wire would cause high reading. I know temp and fuel wouk that was and assumed oil did as well:dunno::dunno::dunno:
--Shorty

If you disconnect the wire from a working gauge it pegs the gauge at 80+ psi, so if you ground it, it should zero the gauge (but I have not actually tested grounding the gauge). You could test a new sensor before it is installed, with no pressure and it should read very low ohms, nearly a ground, then with pressure on it the resistance should rise significantly.

Back