• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half door legality??_

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Hey just looking for some input on the legality of half doors, I picked up a set of doors on a mission to build some sweet half doors without even thinking about the pigs and the dot hassling me. I have a buddy that got fined for going doorless on a jk, but I am still going to have a fully framed door, anyone run into troubles?? I'm in b.c. canada. I know the rcmp say they are not legal, but they are the same idiots that fined another friend for having a body lift, THEY SAY BODY LIFTS ARE ILLEGAL. he had the fine reversed by the ministry of transportation as body lifts are not illegal.

Man I feel for y'all in other states and Canada, we don't have TOO many stupid laws here in Texas. I have driven my Jeep about a dozen times for a total of roughly 300 miles (just built them) with half doors and no problem, but they're not illegal here that I know of.

Sorry I had no answer to your question, but you sound like you are pretty determined to do it anyway. So go for it!:D

Oh, and I've never been pulled over for the body lift on my XJ!

Just Kidding, Just Kidding!!!!!!

How far did you cut em?? I plan on cutting level with the seat.
yeah the body lift was on a chev, they also got him for modified exhaust ( he had a set of dynomax mufflers.)some cops can be pretty sticky!)
lets just say I idle past them in my b2200 (350sbc powered)

Wow Um Jeep wouldnt sell the JK or Any wrangler in Canada if it wasnt legal to take the doors off since almost everyone takes the doors off on those things at least once.

Why would it be illegal if you can do it in a Wrangler, unless they pull some "It's not factory equipment" crap out of their butt. I used to be a deputy sheriff in WV and I have never heard of any laws prohibiting half doors or even no doors but I would have to look in my old code book to see if I could find anything.

If you take the doors off any vehicle, the police can pull you over for the lack of a mirror if they need to meet quota, or feel like being jerks. That's what most Wrangler owners get busted for I've seen both fuzzy dice and a hood scoop result in "obstructed windscreen" violations. I got pulled over in my CJ for the terrible crime of dropping the windshield in Ohio (But why the hell is it on hinges?)

The door isn't a piece of safety equipement per-se, but some jerk can probably make something up if the side impact bar has been cut out and maybe make it stick(I know, how would he know?)

That is true about the mirrors. That is why you can get the relocation brackets for the wranglers. Is there any thing avaiable for the XJ?

Back