• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My wipers suck.

ChairOhKey

NAXJA Forum User
They aren't the blades because I've bought new ones trying to fix this.

My wipers struggle to make it over the windshield on the slow setting and they don't always make it completely down. When on high or the lower setting they do ok, but depending on the amount of rain they still don't make it completely down. In fact after every wipe it seems to stop somewhere new. Is it the wiper arm? I've been reading and I've seen that apparently the spring in the arm stretches out over time so may that has something to do with it.

I have a '97. Thanks for any help. :)

You may have too much tension in the arm so it needs more "oomph" to get it moving. Also the linkage has a bunch of plastic bushings that may be worn out.

The motors do suck, but there is a way to help them return to the "home" position at the bottom of the windshield. Either they dont go far enough down, or the opposite, they smash the bottom of the cowl. As mentioned before, there are plastic bushings, that can help your problem, and it HELPED ME and i LOVE it. It only costed me like 4 dollars for them, and about a half hour to fix. Heres the link. Good Luck.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268354&highlight=wipers

Yeah, the bushings will be the fix for his problem of the wiper not making it down all of the way.

But as for the wiper struggling to make it across the window -

I am voting motor for that. The bushings will still be pushed with the same force if the motor is working correctly. They will just have a little "slop" to them, ie, not returning to the full downward resting position, etc....

Or a little pause inbetween the time they go to the fully extended position before making their way back down the window.....due to the slop in the linkage.

I thought the same thing (shouldn't move slow from bushings) 'til I changed mine-- they were worn and allowing the linkages to twist, which caused enough binding to slow the motor. I changed the bushings to improve the "park" position and found that the speed also improved!!! whodathunk?????
--Shorty

Could this bushing problem be what is causing my wiper arms to only cover a small portion of the windshield? They go from park position to basically straight up and down and then when I shut it off they park about 3 inches up the windshield until I knock em back down or they wiggle down on their own. I am getting maybe 60% coverage of what I am used to getting on other vehicles.

Could be. The worn busings will prevent the wipers from using their full travel due to all the extra slop. Pull the covers off and then turn on the wipers and have a look at the linkage.

Sounds like it.

They also seem to have a weaker motor than most vehicles.

My Mom's Camry's wipers on full speed friggin rock the vehicle when they are on. LOL.

I'd suspect the worn bushings would be most of your problem.

If you or a PO ran 19'' wipers on it at some point, that would account for a slow motor or damaged bushings. I can't believe some are actually dumb enough to hurt their stuff that much for an extra inch of coverage over the stock 19. As cool as it may be. I'm surprised that, seeing as how they fit perfectly, Jeep didn't build it with 19'' wipers and a tougher motor and linkage.

I've been running 19" wipers for about a year. My passenger side bushing is slightly worn.

No adverse affects yet. And that extra inch DOES make a difference.

No slower motor either. If you have the 96+ arm (not the pin thing, but with the snap on U-style deal) you can run a 20" wiper.

And I'm not dumb.

Last edited:
Back