• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Santas new toys

juryrigjalopy

NAXJA Forum User
Santas new toys:

Lowrance 540c. I loaded his "good boy/bad boy" data base from headquarters at the north pole on a 2 gig SD card so that the GPS can show at a glance whether the roof is worth crawling up or not. Anyone have a copy of lowrance mapcreater 7? I believe it can be copied onto up to 5 SD cards before the licsence is up. Also got some new "beard knockoff" suspension seats. New center console, plano toolbox that opens on the end, 10 bucks and its waterproof.....And a jamar linelock that doesnt work.

click for bigger pic

YEAH!!!! I am installing my Lowrance 540 tomorrow!! Nice toy!

My mapcreate is gd for one card and you cant burn the disc. I got mine from PCI racing radios out of signal hill.

Hey Smart Guys. I'm just starting to do my homework on this GPS stuff.
Realistically how much does one have to spend to get a decent unit.....or is that like asking Avery how many Sushi Rolls does he think I can eat. :)

Russ

nascar97 said:
My mapcreate is gd for one card and you cant burn the disc. I got mine from PCI racing radios out of signal hill.

I only asked because I came across this while I was checking out the lowrance site, yours must be different. From the lowrance website:

" Note: For security purposes, MapCreate™ 7 encodes maps to memory cards, and will restrict the encoding process to a maximum of five different memory cards. You can create as many maps as you like, but they will only work on the first five memory cards that you register with the MapCreate™ 7 software."

pottenger said:
Hey Smart Guys. I'm just starting to do my homework on this GPS stuff.
Realistically how much does one have to spend to get a decent unit.....or is that like asking Avery how many Sushi Rolls does he think I can eat. :)

Russ
The lowrance baja 540c that we just got does almost all the same stuff as our old Garmin 60csx except it has a larger screen and can hold more waypoints and tracks. Racers use them because SCORE and other promoters have the track on lowrance format. Personally I like the handhelds for basic trail use because you can take them off the vehicle and see where you went at the campfire and the larger vehicle only units are restricted to using in the car. PCI sells the 540c for about $460, got ours off amazon.com for about 500 shipped. I got a deal on the garmin unit but the Garmin 60csx is around $330. If you want topo maps for either its another $100 to get software.

can you recommend a decent entry level gps? i just need something where i can set a home point and navigate my way back to it, im tired of searching for camp in glamis at midnight and not finding it till 3am because there are 100,000 other people camped in the washes :rattle: i could care less about map navigation or driving directions and such.

GrimmJeeper said:
can you recommend a decent entry level gps? i just need something where i can set a home point and navigate my way back to it, im tired of searching for camp in glamis at midnight and not finding it till 3am because there are 100,000 other people camped in the washes :rattle: i could care less about map navigation or driving directions and such.
I havent used one but a basic Garmin E-Trex is available for around $100 and is a decent GPS and will get ya back to your camp. Check craigslist there are usually some decent deals on some used GPS units that someone outgrew but still works perfect for basic navigation.

I really like my Magellan Meridian GPS, they're not produced anymore, probably because they were too much bang for the buck ($100 with an SD card slot. I have map data for CA, AZ, NV, and UT on one 512MB card) but you may be able to find one on the used market...

I have used the magellan meridian for years, and then got the explorist 600. I have liked using both, but am also upgrading to a lowrance unit myself. Cabela's had the 3600C on closeout a while back for $299.00 and I grabed one for my dad. The 5300C is the same unit with more features for 499.00.. Check out Tiger GPS - http://www.tigergps.com/ They have some pretty good deals on all kinds of GPS systems...

Back