• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie - Lockright Debate.......Which One?

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
OK I know....search....blah,but which one is the better of the 2? I am getting one,just which one to get,I know they both do the same thing.Noise I don't care about,hell it's a jeep!Which one is better than the other?and what do you have? NP 231 case-5 spd NV 3550 -4.10 gears-33 x 12.50 AT's...:dunno:

ok but most importantly... what axle are you locking up...

I've got an Aussie up front and a Lockright in back.... Umm.. I've never had one single problem dealing with Richmond Gear, customer service has always been good to me..

so dont really know what to tell you..

Ha funny, I mentioned everything else!!!!! front dana 30-- I have a XJ 44 I am building for the rear.I was thinking aussie,but they can be hard to obtain sometimes.So next is lockright always available.

I have a lockright in my d30 up front, love it so far. But I'm running a detroit in the back. It has been flawless as well, for a lot longer than the lockright, only because I was locked in the rear for 2 years, then finally got the lockright up front a couple months ago. Anyway, I guess I'd recommend the lockright, but have also heard lots of good things about the Aussie. Might wanna consider a full carrier for the rear though. I destroyed a powertrax no-slip in the rear before I went detroit.

Adam

adamusmc2002 said:
I have a lockright in my d30 up front, love it so far. But I'm running a detroit in the back. It has been flawless as well, for a lot longer than the lockright, only because I was locked in the rear for 2 years, then finally got the lockright up front a couple months ago. Anyway, I guess I'd recommend the lockright, but have also heard lots of good things about the Aussie. Might wanna consider a full carrier for the rear though. I destroyed a powertrax no-slip in the rear before I went detroit.

Adam

How, that's pretty impressive?

i've run both. definately go with aussie.

broke 2 lockrights, and have not been able to kill my aussie yet.

not to mention the fact that the lockright has a tire size limit for the 1 year warranty, while the aussie doesn't have a limit and a 2 year warranty. also, in my experience, aussie customer service is much better.

Well, to defend the no-slip, the final install was done by my buddies while I was home for Christmas break, (Gotta love the Marine corps, tried to have my jeep towed cuz it was on blocks in the parking lot on base, without a rearend, so my friends finished the locker install so they could drive it somewhere else for me). so it might have been installed slightly wrong. But one day, it just stopped locking together, and I had a one wheel drive jeep(had different gears in front, so I couldn't put it in 4wd at the time). Wish i would have gone with the detroit to begin with though, cuz 400 for a no-slip and 500 for a detroit, I'd choose full carrier design.

As for the rear 44 I am going full detroit with the big spline,alloy shaft upgrade when funds become available to do so.But for now in the front it is getting a lunchbox locker,till funds allow front 44 so dont wanna spend too much on dana 30.I am concerned about availability,need it now ya know,first will be aussie if not in stock then lockright will sufice,GOD I hope they have them in stock..Aussie that is-plus do I have to only get one from them?or do other places carry them? please feel free to let me know......thanx

To me they're the same.

I've run a LockRight in my D30 for years and never had a problem. It was used when I got it and I've put another 70,000 miles on it and countless off-road trips. It's been to the Rubicon and Moab a couple times and sees regular use here at home. I'm running 33's, 4.10s and have had no issues. It works flawlessly and is not all that noticeable.

Personally, I would buy whichever one you could get a good deal on or was available the day you need it.

I have an Aussie in my TJ. D30 and D35...have only had them a few months but havent had any problems. Just returned from a trip to Moab in the TJ, the lockers worked awesome.

-Aaron

IntrepidXJ said:
side-by-side....the aussie is a little bigger, too

on another note, i have never seen a thread posted on any forum about someone breaking an aussie (if you find one, post it up, because i'd liek to see how it broke).....but i have seen plenty of broken lockright threads

Not defending one over the other, but to be intellectually honest you need to recognize the LockRight has been available for a considerably longer period of time vs. the Aussie Locker. The opportunity for the Lock Right to break has been longer....therefore it stands to reason it will have more breakage.

IntrepidXJ said:
side-by-side....the aussie is a little bigger, too

on another note, i have never seen a thread posted on any forum about someone breaking an aussie (if you find one, post it up, because i'd liek to see how it broke).....but i have seen plenty of broken lockright threads

First what's breaking on lockrights? cross shaft, shear pins?

How long has the Lock Right been around? yeah you're gonna see more broken because a lot more people are running them and they've been around what 15 yrs longer than the aussie.

Also , why not support a product made in the USA... I know that's a pretty sad point but why not? They're almost the exact same price.

Has anyone tried to warranty a Aussie.... all in all warranties are mostly crap (Limited Warranty)... they (being whomever) is going to try to blame your install, etc. and keep it tired up for so long that you're better off buying another one or fixing it yourself.. See Detroit/Eaton for example.

OR, can you even get Aussie replacement parts? Just curious if anyone's ever tried..

Buy whatever you want doesnt matter.. I'll have both in my rig soon... but I bet later down the road you'll see Aussies start breaking too...

I have an aussie in my XJ44. Works great. I duno where you got the idea that they are hard to obtain. Order them directly off of their website. I would recommend the aussie.

my XY d30 and d44

Lockright break in the d44

Lockrigth beak in my d35 (before d44)

today d44 & d30 with aussie locker and no "problemas" with 32" tires and 4.10.

How did they break? What were you doing at the time? How was your rig setup at the time?

As an example, I've finally broken a D35 shaft but unless I told you what I was doing and gave some context, it wouldn't provide any assistance to those making a decision.

ELMO said:
my XY d30 and d44

Lockright break in the d44

Lockrigth beak in my d35 (before d44)

today d44 & d30 with aussie locker and no "problemas" with 32" tires and 4.10.

32's and 4.10's and breaking Lock Rights.. sounds a little fishy... installed wrong?...

I am for the aussie crowd!!!

1) IIRC the chief engineer at Aussie actually worked on the lock right when it was first invented.

2) Aussies have no tire size limitations for their warranty.

3) I have seen failed lock rights, haven't seen any aussies.

4) They seem to be made better. I have held both in my hands at the same time, and the Aussie just feels like it is made from better quality materials and workmanship. They are supposed to have better heat treatment and tighter tolerances.
Of course the fact we were replacing a broken lock right with an aussie at the time, didn't help my view of the lock right any.

5) They are smoother while ratcheting. I have ridden in rigs with both, and aussies are smoother in my experience.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
I am for the aussie crowd!!!

1) IIRC the chief engineer at Aussie actually worked on the lock right when it was first invented.

2) Aussies have no tire size limitations for their warranty.

3) I have seen failed lock rights, haven't seen any aussies.

4) They seem to be made better. I have held both in my hands at the same time, and the Aussie just feels like it is made from better quality materials and workmanship. They are supposed to have better heat treatment and tighter tolerances.
Of course the fact we were replacing a broken lock right with an aussie at the time, didn't help my view of the lock right any.

5) They are smoother while ratcheting. I have ridden in rigs with both, and aussies are smoother in my experience.

2. Limited Warranty, meaning if it's not a manufacturer's defect.. your SOL. SO, can you get replacement parts?

3. Been around for what 3.5 years... they'll come

4. What broke on the Lock Right?

5. smoother when ratcheting... I'd say buy a No-Slip or selectable locker if smoothness when rounding turns is that big of a deal..

Back