• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removable mud flaps

adamusmc2002

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted to see if anyone knew of a mud flap setup that would let me quickly install and remove them, ie. when getting back on the road where cops pull you over. I know Jeremy(Megawatt) had a cool setup, but can't remember if he did that up himself, or bought it ready to install. Something with a hinge-type design, so the bar that the flap swings on is removable, and hence, removes the flap itself, with the other half of the hinge still mounted behind the tire.

Just wanna get a little closer to totally legal so I can avoid tickets, I've been hearing about some pretty pricy fines guys have gotten recently on here.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Adam,
I have built several sets for different Jeeps over the last few years. I even still keep my set just in case I have to let someone else borrow the trailer for the ride home from the trail ;)

I welded a short length of square steel to the frame behind the rear wheels. Then found a longer piece of steel that would slide into the shorter piece. I mounted the rubber mudflap to the longer steel. I drilled a hole all the way through both pieces of steel so that I could put a cotter pin(?) through both pieces of steel to hold them on. When you get to the trail you just pull the pin and the flap is off, really simple, really easy, really quick. You could do the same with any two pieces of metal you can find as long as the 1 slides into the other without any issues.

Jeremy made his own also, slightly different design if I remember correctly.

Michael

Back