• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans acting weird

welter5370

NAXJA Forum User
here lately when i go wheeling my trans will act like its slipping (but its not) if i run the rpms up it will start to pull. if i put it in park and turn off the motor and restart it its find for a few min. and then happens again.
87 xj , 4.0 , aw4 , 4:88 gears w/ 33's

well when i take off you can feel it shift through all gears, and then after a little while it kinda feels like it goes to neutrel but if you rev it more you can feel it pull again. if i stop and start again ( no shifting just stop and go ) it has to rev way up to go (kinda like its trying to take off in over drive). but if i turn it off its good to go maybe 5 feet maybe 300 feet:explosion

nss has nothing to do with shifting---only starting and back-up lights.

Have you checked the fluid level? You also might need to adjust the kickdown cable.

checked fluid level was ok and so was the kick down cable.

just dropped the pan and seems to have a filter problem ( covered in silt like debre ) the trans was just rebuilt around 5000 miles ago, so i think i my have just took for granted that the filter would be ok i'm going to put a new filter in tomorrow morning and see what happens
did not know about the nss just grabbing at anything right now
thanks for replying

I would think it's a loss of fluid pressure since the engine revs and then slowly goes. A plugged filter will give that result, so change it first. Refill the trans. and run it for a few miles. I would drain and refill the fluid again after a few miles-- the torque converter doesn'y have a drain plug (IIRC) and it holds a bunch of fluid too. If it's been slipping, it's been generating alot of heat, and you want to get rid of as much burnt trans fluid as you can. Gotta love drain plugs in the trans-- first vehicle I've owned that came with one!!!!!!

best of luck with it!!
--Shorty

THANKS ALL
its fixed i guess a new filter does not come with a rebuild kit or they grabed the old one by mistake.hahaha
changed the filter and fluid drove it around and seemed fine, now to get it off road and really test it
thanks again for your help

Back