• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans acting weird

welter5370

NAXJA Forum User
here lately when i go wheeling my trans will act like its slipping (but its not) if i run the rpms up it will start to pull. if i put it in park and turn off the motor and restart it its find for a few min. and then happens again.
87 xj , 4.0 , aw4 , 4:88 gears w/ 33's

Also check the transmission kickdown cable under the hood, my old 89 Jeep had that slipping; I put a hose clamp on it to keep it in place once it was correct.

Could it be the external tranny controller under the dash, it sounds like an electical problem if it stops/starts when you turn the Jeep off.

jfiscus said:
Could it be the external tranny controller under the dash, it sounds like an electical problem if it stops/starts when you turn the Jeep off.

:huh:

Come on guys it is the TPS. Mine would do the same thing or unexpectantly downshift or act like it was in neutral. All are symptoms of a bad TPS. Change and adjust the new one and you will have it cured.
And where the heck is Porter???

mikeforte said:
Come on guys it is the TPS. Mine would do the same thing or unexpectantly downshift or act like it was in neutral. All are symptoms of a bad TPS. Change and adjust the new one and you will have it cured.

X2

mikeforte said:
And where the heck is Porter???

well its another case of ITS THE TPS i changed and adjusted it 3 times come to find out it was a $19.00 part called the temp. sensor just under the intake/ exhaust on the block behind the driver side motor mount.
is it just me or can anybody say anything besides TPS, i mean every question i have ever asked on naxja every body says TPS and i have read alot of threads where people say they have changed the tps and everybody still says its the tps there are other items on a jeep.
porter is just north of houston,tx. right next to the TPS :roflmao:

Back