• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake calipers what kind of grease?

PW1XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I took the front brakes off today and found that the right side calipers were messed up. The 2 pins that are suppose to slide back and forth aren't sliding. I found out later you aren't suppose to use petroleum based grease on the pins.

I bought the little packages of synthetic brake grease and lubed them up.
The pins still don't move back and forth like they should. Is there a special grease I should buy? I'm about to try slick50! :flamemad:

The left side caliper pins slide back and forth very easy.

I'm not putting this thing back together til I get it right..

nope, that synthetic stuf you bought is the right stuff.
Are the slides pitted?
You can buy new guide pins at the parts store for about $7, I priced them when I had to grind the head of one and use vise grips to remove it, destroying it.
I simply went the other way though, a new claiper was about $25, so I simply replaced both. Brakes are not something to cheap out on.

87manche said:
nope, that synthetic stuf you bought is the right stuff.
Are the slides pitted?
You can buy new guide pins at the parts store for about $7, I priced them when I had to grind the head of one and use vise grips to remove it, destroying it.
I simply went the other way though, a new claiper was about $25, so I simply replaced both. Brakes are not something to cheap out on.

I bought new calipers 3 months ago. The came semi-loaded. One caliper was all put together (left side) the right side I had to put the pins and rubber boots on. I screwed up at first and used wheel bearing grease. (stuff dried up) I cleaned everything well, and tried the brake grease and the pins do not slide nice and free like on the left side.

Here's what the pins look like..

They still look new, but don't slide worth a crap. I've had to turn my new rotors because of this.

DSCF8570.jpg

I read in another thread to use Silicone grease...

whatdver you use it has to be able to withstand the high temps.
I had a mechanic do the same thing to a Sundance I had.
It ruined all the rubber boots and such wen the grease boiled.
Ended up replacing the caliper. Unless you can find all new rubber pieces that's likely what you'll end up with.

Alright, took 2 steps back. The pins and boots are clean as a whistle.

Just bought this:

DSCF8572.jpg

Now maybe I'm installing them wrong?

It seems to me you have to put the boots on the caliper first, then put some grease in them, then install the pins.. Sound about right?

yep.
what year do you have?
Mine have smooth pins that have internal allen heads. I know the later ones were a different design, and had hex heads. I'm not familiar with those.

It's a 99. I just put the new grease in the boots, put the boots on the caliper, then put a small film of the grease on the pin and stuck them in.

Only thing is this time I didn't try to open the boot and add more grease.

Maybe since I used the brake lube 3 times now, it cleaned out the old wheel bearing grease.

They move much smoother now, but still not as slick as the left side.

I'm not familiar with that style caliper, that's why I asked. As long as they move pretty freely you shouldn't have any problems. Just watch that side for abnormal pad wear. WHen I found out my caliper was seized on the Sundance was when the outer pad ground into the rotor. Inner pad had plenty of meat, outer pad was to the steel.

When I did my brakes, my pins were pretty pitted. I put the threaded end into my drill (clamped lightly) and used some 200 then 400 grit emory paper to smoothen them out. I used some hi-temp wheel bearing grease. Make sure you clean the boots in the calipers out well.

I use synthetic high temp wheel bearing gease. It's black and smells nasty. Load up the pins and the holes in the calipers. It's the only stuff we have found to last the life of the brakes and still be smooth. Most people that have brake woble don't have warped rotors, their pins are usually dry.

Back