• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me identify this tranny

sigmund

NAXJA Forum User
This came from a '95 XJ 2wd with 4.0l. From all the pics I've seen of the AX-15, this doesn't look like one. Is it?

P1000330.jpg

if it came out of a 1995 XJ with a 4.0L, the only manual tranny it could be is the AX-15....all the other tranny's were used with other engines....

That would be the 2WD version of the AX-15. You're probably used to the 4WD version - which has a transfer case adapter in place of the tailcone.

It can be converted to 4WD, but you'll need a 4WD mainshaft and a transfer case adapter. Cheaper and easier, usually, to just get the 4WD version...

Also, that looks like it had the "internal" slave cylinder (from the outside of the bellhousing. I can't see inside.) There's a simple check - look for a sort of sleeve around the input shaft. If there is a sleeve, then it's the "external" slave with a movable bearing. If there is no sleeve, it used the "internal" slave with fixed bearing and integrated slave cylinder.

If you decide to get a 4WD version and you have the external slave type (with the sleeve over the input shaft,) I'd like to talk to you backchannel...

That tranny appears to be EXTERNAL on the slave, as there are 2 studs sticking out from the side of the bell quite aways (Looks ALOT like the ax-5 in one of my MJs').

Did they not change the AX-15 to an external slave in the mid 90's, I am pretty sure they did. That also looks dead on for the AX-15 that I had in my 92. It was 2wd I had it converted to 4wd at a tranny shop.

Must have used the same bellhousing mount for the external, with a small mod to mount the fork ball then.

That looks exactly like the access port for the hydraulic lines on my 'internal slave' AX-15. Since I'd not seen an external slave in the flesh, I'd no way of knowing about the access port being the same. Makes sense, tho.

They did change from internal to external, but I'd thought that was mid-1996. Granted, that's a "fuzzy" date...

Back