• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight OBDII code reader. Was $130 now $65

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
Just so everyone knows there is a decent code reader on sale right now from harbor freight for $65. It was previously $130.00. Any idea on how good this one is?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94217

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]OBD II/CAN CODE SCANNER WITH TEXT DISPLAY[/FONT]
clear.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]READ DIAGNOSTICS IN PLAIN LANGUAGE![/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Read diagnostic data in plain language on the built-in display! No more looking up trouble codes on your computer or handbook.
  • Supports all OBD II protocols and the Controller Area Network (CAN) protocol
  • Reads and erases trouble codes and resets check engine light
  • Displays I/M readiness status and state OBD check
  • Detects OBD II freeze frame information
  • Determines the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) status
  • Identifies the display pending codes
  • Retrieves VIN number on 2002 or newer vehicles that support mode 9
  • Displays total number of codes retrieved
  • Memory/battery back up for off vehicle review
  • Upgradeable via flash programming
  • Easy to read, adjustable backlit LCD display
  • Reviews the emission readiness status of OBD monitors
  • Hot keys for quick read and erase
  • No batteries required, powered by vehicle's battery via replaceable 2 ft. cable; off vehicle memory review requires 9 volt battery (included)
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
ITEM 94217-3VGA

$129.99 $64.99

[/FONT]

Great deal on a great scanner. I have one similar to that, that has all those features that was given to me, but they generally go for much more than $65. If I didn't already have one, i'd probably run out and get that.

Is CAN the protocol for import and some newer domestic vehicles, similar to OBDII.

OR

Is CAN a Protocol for the other computers controllers communicating. i.e. can it talk to the transmissions, air bag controllers, ABS?

I'm pretty sure its the former. I've looked for scanners that can do it all, like the dealers tools. Pull codes from Trans/ABS/AirBag controllers, reset codes for those and do some of the maintenance functions, like activating the ABS Pump, etc. The only things I've found were well more than a $1000.

Oh, can it read sensor data in real time?

I just went and bought one and also got another 10% off with this coupon I will post up. I will play with it tonight and see what it will do and let you guys know. It is pretty nice just to look at it. It came with a nice zip up padded holding cases, betterys, a computer CD with tons of deffinitions and the user manual, and a computer cable to upgrade the code reader. In the manual it says that it reads OBD II and it says it will also reads the next generation protocol "CAN" which stands for "Control Area Network." I am thinking this is a upgrade or add on to OBDII probably on newer vehicals.

Here is the 10% off coupon for any purchase. THIS IS A REAL COUPON TO NOT A FAKE LIKE THE NEVER ENDING 20% OFF.
http://i.slickdeals.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=39346&d=1179873681

PhotographerMike said:
I got a "Forbiden" message with this link, SO, I changed the last number and there it was!

Mike

Yeah, change it to 2 (instead of 1).

89Daytona said:
I used it once and it worked fine, then I went back to the same store and used it again and they said they couldnt accept it due to the fact that it was fake. Apparently harbor freight does not have never expiring coupons. They also said that some 4x4 website origonally posted it up saying that the clerks were to stupid to figure out the coupons were a fake. It was not NAXJA but it was someother offroad website.

jeepboy381 said:
I used it once and it worked fine, then I went back to the same store and used it again and they said they couldnt accept it due to the fact that it was fake. Apparently harbor freight does not have never expiring coupons. They also said that some 4x4 website origonally posted it up saying that the clerks were to stupid to figure out the coupons were a fake. It was not NAXJA but it was someother offroad website.

I just got back from my local one. The floor manager did confirm the 20% off as a fake. However, he did accept it. Apparently HF has decided to honor all coupons regardless of their source. I guess they'd rather not deal with a angry customer with a legit coupon that won't scan properly.

In the end, I got mine for $52.

P.S. When they scanned the reader, it showed up at $89.99. I had to bring a printout of the price from the website to get the sales price. Unfortunately, I didn't have it the first time so I went home to get it and back again.

Last edited:
floppy said:
The local Autozone lends them out without hesitation.

I see you're in GG. I was just at the HF store on Harbor Blvd.

jeepboy381 said:
I just went and bought one and also got another 10% off with this coupon I will post up. I will play with it tonight and see what it will do and let you guys know. It is pretty nice just to look at it. It came with a nice zip up padded holding cases, betterys, a computer CD with tons of deffinitions and the user manual, and a computer cable to upgrade the code reader. In the manual it says that it reads OBD II and it says it will also reads the next generation protocol "CAN" which stands for "Control Area Network." I am thinking this is a upgrade or add on to OBDII probably on newer vehicals.

Here is the 10% off coupon for any purchase. THIS IS A REAL COUPON TO NOT A FAKE LIKE THE NEVER ENDING 20% OFF.
http://i.slickdeals.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=39346&d=1179873681

Search my name for the 20% off coupon which isnt fake. Tons of people have used them. Myself included.

I, too, have used the 20% off coupon without any problems. But that is 20% off a single item, where I can see 10% off an entire purchase can add up to a better deal depending on how much you're buying. Use which ever saves you the most on that particular trip. The time I used the 20% off I bought a bunch of stuff: drill press, arbor press, couple of bench grinder stands, grease gun, calipers. I used the 20% off the drill press since that was the most expensive thing I was getting but if I had the 10% off entire purchase coupon it would've saved me more. I've printed up both now and will use which ever gives the best deal at any certain time. Thanks to both the guys who have posted these up.

Back