• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bastard pack lift questions

tatjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
well, hello everybody! haha now that we know each other, i'll get goin'.

I've been reading, and reading, and researching, and alternately re-reading threads, all day today concerning lifted xjs, and inexpensive lift techniques and components compared to the stuff held in very high regards by most people. there have been a lot of things that seem similar, but i still have some unanswered questions... maybe i'm just terrible at reading for comprehension.

anyway, this is what i've come to understand as necessary for a " 4.5" back yard lift kit"

*S-10 leaf packs, eyelets removed to replace all but main xj leaf

*Either full 4.5" coils, or 3" coils and spacers, but I'd use full coils

*Rear shackles if desired for flex, but with this option, use less S-10 leaves so you're still level

*Appropriately sized U-Bolts and center pins (though center pins can be cut down)

*Extended shocks

*Longer brake lines (e-brake incl.)

*Aftermarket lower control arms to improve steering and avoid the dreaded "Death Wobble" a month down the road

*Appropriate shims to lessen the pinion angle, or a transfer-case drop bracket/kit for streetability at highway speed

*Modified drop pitman arm for steering

So did I miss anything, or fudge the marks on something? I start scavenging the area tomorrow (today technically), since it's going to be my last full day off until the install.

Let me know if/what I'm missing. And thanks in advance for helpin' the noob!

Your trac bar will no longer work. And you will need to bumpstop it. I am running a 4 inch spring up front with a spacer, and a bastard pack with a shackle in the rear. I am at almost 6 inches front and back.

I still have the stock control arms, I am going to get adjustable ones though, just so I can move the tire forward a little in the wheelwell.

I also have no SYE or TC drop. So far everything is ok, but I am going to do a TC drop until I can get an SYE, just to take stress off the driveline.

I have done nothing to the steering, and I don't think I will. It seems fine so far.

For brakelines, just use wrangler lines. They work fine and are a lot cheaper then aftermarket.

If you use s10 springs you will need a 3/8 inch center bolt. And will need to drill out the XJ spring to match the bigger hole in the s10 spring. This is a PITA.

And also, don't expect it to ride like a Caddy. It will not. But hey, it's a Jeep.

Looks good for the most part.

You don't need a drop pitman, it will cause bumpsteer due to the difference in angle between the trackbar and draglink.

You probably don't need E-brake cables either, but it wouldn't hurt to change them anyway.

I ran about that exact same setup a while back. I was never happy with the rear ride and flex so I ended up doing this http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901160

If you use a longer shackle it may be a little better. I was only using MJ shackles, they give about 3/4" of lift. A 1.5" lift shackle would allow the shackle to travel even more in the stock pocket. The stock shackle barely moves at all, so at least replace it with something.

And make sure you get extended shocks, not shock extenders!

And yes, you will need an adjustable track bar.

This is what my bastardized 4.5" lift looked like on 33s. Man...that was a lot of dents ago!!!
CleanXJ.jpg

hey cap'n, how long have you been driving on your setup? well, my real question is, "does your jeep drive like crap?" like freeway speeds and such... my rig's a DD, and i travel quite a bit.

and to the dude from VA, i've already read that thread, and your jeep is my jeep's hero!

This is my XJ sitting at around 4" with 31x10.5. It has S10 2nd, 3rd plus shackle for the rear lift. My stock springs were sagged pretty bad and I was back to stock height with the 1.5" shackle lift. I removed all my XJ leaves but the main and added the 2 S10. Up front are RE 3.5 coils, RE track bar, and JKS quicker disconnects. Ride is nice on the road, improvement over warn out stock stuff, and with shocks better than Doetsch Tech I bet the ride would be pretty good. When money comes for gears I plan on trimming for at least 32's. I might through a spacer up front and add the S10 main to run 33's but I don't want to go to much higher because I have no vibes right now and the NP207 which I can't fine a SYE kit for.

JeepProfile.jpg

Last edited:
Back