• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee Seat Powered

shaddady34

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought 2 2003 leather jeep grand cherokee seats which are heated and have power slide track with memory. I want to make the seat heat and power operational in my 01 cherokee. How do i do the conversion?? any write-ups out there..i have searched but not much on this forum

I'm not sure if the Jeep is this way, but some other cars I have owned without the power seat option have had the connector for it wired up anyways... its cheaper for them to just make one interior harness. Pull out your seat and see if there's a connector for it.

When you grabbed the seat did you grab the other end of the connector? If you did, you can make it look pretty damn nice. When my drivers seat broke in my cherokee, the cheapest replacements I could find were power seats. I grabbed the other side of the connector (The portion attatched to the harness) and very delicately dissassembled it.

I found that I could slide the rubber sealing boot at the end of the connector over two new wires, and attatch the wires to the insides of the original connector. I can't remember if i had to solder the wires on, or if there was a factory crimp connection in there. Anyway, what i ended up with was the factory connectors with new wires that i needed to run to somewhere with a power connection.

I could have just grounded the negative wire on the floor or the seat frame itself, but, because of the moisture and salt down there, i decided not to. Instead I ran the negative lead to a different ground under the dash, up off the floor.

Then, I ran the positive wire to the relay power distribution under the hood and plugged it into an unused fuse port. After running another wire from the battery to the power block and installing a fuse, I was good to go. Worked like a charm.

I don't know if that is a good way to do that though, I don't think i would need a relay or anything, I kind of assumed that either there were relays under the seat or (more likely?) that the electric motor would be perfectly capable of handling all 12.7 (Or whatever it is) volts. Aside from being a fool and using Yellow wire for both the negative and positive leads, it looks really clean.

Too bad the motor died a year later. It was kinda weak when i got it, but... meh. It was a temporary fix anyway. You know, the kind of fix you make until all your dreams come true and you have the winning lottery ticket? Yeah. Then i was going to go for new aftermarket seats.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

I also hope that whatever the Grand uses to store the memory settings on is installed into the seats itself. If not, you might have to live without the memory function.

shaddady34 said:
I just bought 2 2003 leather jeep grand cherokee seats which are heated and have power slide track with memory. I want to make the seat heat and power operational in my 01 cherokee. How do i do the conversion?? any write-ups out there..i have searched but not much on this forum

I put '96 ZJ front limited heated leather seats, and '98 ZJ rear leather seats in my '99 XJ. on the ZJ the memory part is driver only, and i never really looked into making it work, BUT the 8 way power, and heated functions work. I had to use the ZJ heated seat switch, and run my own wiring for the heated and power to both seats. the XJ has a provision for the power seat under the pass seat, there's a black 2 prong plug. one is hot at all times, the other is hot w/ the ignition on. The power seats use the hot at all times, and the heated use the switched power. I'm not familiar w/the WJ seats, you're going to have to look into that your self. I sat down w/ a '99 XJ power seat schematic, and a '96 ZJ power/heated seat schematic and figured out what had to connect to what

I have a 2000 and just had my carpet pulled up last week checking for rust. My Xj doesn't have power seats BUT it had a plug UNDER the carpet. If you pull your seat out, or if you can reach a skinny arm under it, you will notice there is a slit in the carpet under the seat. You may be able to fish the plug out of there if you can reach it (and assuming you have it). Mine is a Classic but i don't know how much that mattered since I bet power seats was an option on all of them. As i have read on here from another NAXJAer, its cheaper for DC to make one harness and stick it in ALL of them then make different harnesses and have to sort them out. Good luck

cklaus said:
I have a 2000 and just had my carpet pulled up last week checking for rust. My Xj doesn't have power seats BUT it had a plug UNDER the carpet. If you pull your seat out, or if you can reach a skinny arm under it, you will notice there is a slit in the carpet under the seat. You may be able to fish the plug out of there if you can reach it (and assuming you have it). Mine is a Classic but i don't know how much that mattered since I bet power seats was an option on all of them. As i have read on here from another NAXJAer, its cheaper for DC to make one harness and stick it in ALL of them then make different harnesses and have to sort them out. Good luck
Yes, the pass side plug really should be there. Usually the plug is clipped to the brace that the front of the seat track bolts to running along the floor.

Back