• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air bag removal??

EvanH

NAXJA Forum User
How can I take my airbag out? I have one on the drivers side and I don't want it. Is there a way that I can just diconnect it?

What year do ya have. And why? are you putting in a new steering wheel?

i'm assuming you have a 95 or 96.
disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
remove the plastic cap on the top of the air bag module.
from outside the window, reach in and unscrew the arming screw to deactivate the airbag.
If not a 95 or 96, disregard. HTH -B

Make sure you follow Boomhauer's advice on Standing outside the car while doing this! If, for whatever reason the airbag does deploy, it can seriously wreck your day if it drives a screwdriver into your skull. It can happen, the damn things are designed to protect your face from doing a Gallagher watermelon impression only if you are sitting in the seat, other than that, they can be dangerous. I'm sure any firemen on here can tell you horror stories about airbags deploying into the side of a rescuer's head; and i know i've seen two people with broken arms because they were in front of the bag when it deployed.

I'm not sure if the sensor's on Xj's have there own power supply or not, but once the battery is disconnected I would leave the key in the on position for a least 15 minutes to discharge the capacitor(?). Reset your clock and radio settings later.

Good luck.

Yes, definitely make sure you have the battery disconnected for atleast 15 minutes (i've always done 20 to be safe) to discharge the system.....no need to make it a bad day by having it go off in your face, homer simpson style (that is, after you've already got it out of the wheel and are holding it in your hand looking at it....THATS when it'd go off....atleast if I were taking it out, thats how my luck would play out)

Back