• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

single center mounted fan??

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
after i wrecked my 90, it broke the fan shroud and elec fan. i then took the ac out to move the alt to the ac location. worked out great. but now i still am running with the mechanical fan only, no shroud. as you can imagine it dosnt cool very efficiantly when i am sitting still.....as in i keep overheating. i am always up for trying out new ideas to see if they work and if it dosnt i can always go back to stock. but i was considering using a 2 peice fan shroud from a full size gm and putting a larger mechanical fan and mount it on the center pulley. physicly i can do it, but my question is for those out there that may have already tried a similar method.

Blaine B. said:
What center pully might you use?
Obviously the water pump, like that does anything for cooling anyways. I think he meant a central electric, I think most wranglers have it set up that way but their radiators are taller and more square than our rectangular shorter radiators. I think your best bet is the taurus fan or just two electrics.

BBeach said:
Obviously the water pump, like that does anything for cooling anyways. I think he meant a central electric, I think most wranglers have it set up that way but their radiators are taller and more square than our rectangular shorter radiators. I think your best bet is the taurus fan or just two electrics.
ZJs with the 4.0 also just use one center fan if that helps at all.

The problem with using o-nly 1 fan on an XJ is that the radiator is so short. ZJ e-fans are a good 6" taller than XJ e-fans. (I have a few of each in my garage & was trying to figure out how to do something like this.)

Take a look at Go-jeeps place. He did this with ONE center mount elec., if nothing else, it is food for thought. I may try working with the shroud from one of the junks in my yard...

well center or mechanical. but either way i was trying to see if it would be more effective. i like to try to work away from any more wiring than is necessary.

you know some times i wish i had various vehicles at my disposal. all i have is an explorer and ithe rearend didnt work. come to think of it there might be a fan shroud that will work on that

You mean like this?
001.jpg

Stock Ford "X" 4.0 fan shroud
004.jpg

Fan shroud and radiator
003.jpg

Radiator by itself
005.jpg

Radiator sitting onthe edge of one of my MJs', for thinking purposes only....
002.jpg

Fan shroud compared to stock XJ/MJ radiator

Back