• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrong t-case???

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if this was the wrong t-case for my rig??? isnt the 96+ cherokee's supposed to have just a boot around the tailshaft?? not an actual tailshaft housing?!?!?! mine's a 98 if you didn't know.....

DSCN0898.jpg

Well does it work? Someone prolly blew theres up and went to the bone yard and got a junker that would fit?

it works great, i'm just trying to figure out just how much stuff on this jeep isn't the factory piece..... so far, i've got motor and t-case..... i'm having trouble finding a good t-case id webpage. i've figured out that its a 94 dakota or ram 1500 t-case... but i'm curious if it still has the AX-15.....

So I'm guessing that the "D" stands for dodge?

AX-5 's came with the 4 cylinder (like mine). And AX-15's with the I6. From what I have read the AX-15 is much stronger, but if you want to use one on the smaller engine (I do) you need to swap in a Dakota 4 cyl. bell housing and use a Camaro clutch.

So, 4 cyl., AX-15, lucky you.
6 cyl., AX-5 probably won't fit.

terryd said:
its a 231 alright, supposedly this is a ax-15 rig, will the old 231 hook to a ax-15 or do i also have the older ax-5? could this be a dakota/durango/ram1500 t-case???

ok, from the pictures i can find online, the ax-5 has a plug/casting mark? above the ribbing, and the ax-15 has the plug cast into the ribbing. by this deduction, i have the ax-15 and am now officially not pissed or freaking out. the np231D (still not sure of original application, but fits excelently in my jeep) i am satisfied with, also knowing that i can probably get by with more lift w/o a SYE just yet helps in the reconciliation. now then....does this make any difference in the sye i can use?

Back