• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 97 XJ Sport build

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
So i (well parents) bought a 97 XJ Sport from some guy, right now has 30" tires with just 700 miles on them!!!! Anways, i just turned over 100,000 miles about a day ago. So my plan is to lift this bad boy.. Need help on my two build plans, which should i pick (want to spend as little as possible)

But first, pics of the flex/ what my jeep looks like:eyes:
76695563my6.jpg

83291973xt1.jpg

21833860is1.jpg

37087776yi5.jpg

12825434kg6.jpg

These lift plans do NOT include tires or wheels!

Plan 1:
  • Lift: Rustys 4"lift (dont wanna go higher than 4")
  • Quick disconnect sway bars
  • New upper and lower control arms????? (do i need these)
  • Winch
  • Front, back bumper
  • Rock sliders?? (i prob wont be doing to much rock crawling, do i need them)
  • Safari rack
  • Lights
  • Various skid plates (will worry about which ones later)
  • SYE (do i need one??)
  • New driveshaft (was thinkin about the square ones??)
  • This rig will NOT be locked, (Money issues, wont be doin that much wheelin)
  • Transfer case drop (i think its included in the lift kit but i cant remember)
  • What else am i missing (just to have fun, not gonna be a dedicated off roader)
  • Does anyone know how much this is gonna cost (i think a little over $1400)
Plan 2:
  • RE Lift 4" (No higher)
  • All same as above
Ive heard of getting, for example a 3" lift and using spacers in front and back to get a 4" lift. Should i do this and buy one of these two lifts (RE, Rustys) that are smaller than 4" and then use spacers??

Thanks for the help

You could get the 3" springs all arond and then get the daystar 1.75 space and a 1.5 or 2" shackle for the rear. I priced out something that was kinda like what you are doing, minus all the lights, bumpers, skid plates, winch,sye,driveshaft blah blah blah. with the springs and the shocks and the new bushings all around, spacers and shackles. it was around $450.00 from quadratec. Sounds like you'd be doing about $2500.00? with everthing you listed, that is if you are putting it all together yourself.

take of the mud flaps or just wait till they get ripped off! (if you go offroad alot)

from all ive learned you will need a SYE and new rear drive shaft.. late model xjs hate going up more than 2 inches!!! so add a few hundred bucks onto w/e kit you decide on.. and the people here will tell you to go with the RE kit.. its just better qaulity or so ive heard!!

go with a 2 inch bb and put all the lights ya want on it! ;-)

ok time to rephrase the statements i have said,
  • i already have a winch (free, my dads, 7,000 lbs ramsey winch, not much but it will do if i use pullies with it)
  • Already have a second battery setup in the engine compartment (i have subs in the back for driving around, probally take them out when wheelin, they take up the whole cargo area, so second battery will run lights, winch, subs, etc.)
  • I want to have leaf springs in the back because this sub box weighs around 100 or more lbs.
  • getting roof rack for $188, has tire mount, hi lift mount, gonna make a custom box on the back of it in welding class to fit my "dirty" toe straps or any other part that might become dirty, has two spots for lights on the front of the rack and two spots on the back for backup lights)

• (not to sound rude or anything) You guys didnt really address what the difference between rustys and RE. Im thinkin ill go w/ rustys 3" lift kit. I should then get their 180lbs coils?? For the cost of rustys, i can get the steering stablizer, bilstien shocks, and lift for around $800-$900. thats almost as much as RE lift.
  • What about the uper and lower control arms???
  • Is using shackles and spacers a safe/ good way to get my lift??
  • What about the square driveshafts?
  • Maybee pics of similar rigs that have these mods on them would be helpfull??
Thanks for the help and cooperation for putting up with a newbie such as me.:rof:

alright well, tell me what i should get look at bullets of last post, that is what i am wondering about. Which lift????? (i will probally comprimise later down the road due to money, maybe, we will see!!)

rooneypower said:
if your gonna be spending that kinda money on ´accessories´, why NOT go with a good foundation? allthough they dont make a 4¨ kit...

you list all these offroading parts, yet you are adamant that it wont go offroad much...
then why mount the winch?
...or the safari rack?
...or the muddy compartment inside the roofrack?
help me understand
ps, what do you have against lockers or new tires?

alright, lets answer these questions

first off im asking about all the different parts to, A. get educated B. might upgrade later down the road C. see what my options are

Im mounting the winch bc it is a nice addition to have and most of all ITS FREE, DONT HAVE TO PAY A THING, WHY NOT MOUNT IT??

With the safari rack, well.... i need it bc it will hold the box (make it for a welding project, why not, i can get all the metal i need for FREEEEEEE!!!, and its kinda neat, custom mod ya know :) )

Dont have anything against locker or new tires. If i was Bill Gates i would buy your rig and drive it till it breaks and then tow it back to ur house to make u think,,, wow what a little bastard! But then i would buy u 5 jeeps that were 10 times better with 60" tires and 20 spare lockers each, HA ha ha...
Nah lockers are expensive man, everyone say im gonna spend sooo much money already and i say, im not gonna wheel that much, so why invest??

With the tires, That is a different post. My plan/what im lookin at is 33" BF Goodrich tires.

So does everyone kinda understand what im sayin now.

Sooooo. What does everyone think?? Will this work? BUT BACK TO THE orginal questions..... Look at my bullets to see what im asking

Again thanks for the help

-For the lift:
Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Ride w/leaf springs, RE#6024. Chances are this kit will give you 4"-4.5" of lift. RE's lifts tend to run a little over. At least until they are well broken in.
It does not include shocks or quick discos. It does include lower control arms. Which should be all that is needed with this kit, uppers would be your choice. Assuming your steering is in good shape you shouldent need a new steering stabilizer, the factory one should be fine.

-With a 4" lift it is very unlikely you will fit 33" tires. At least without major trimming. Maybe if your jeep is just a mall crawler you could get buy without tons of trimming. A 32" would be a better choice with some light trimming.

-Shackles and spacers are a fine way of tuning a lift. Assuming you are talking about an inch or two. A 1 foot spacer and 9" shackle is a bit much, and I would consider this unsafe. Chances are you will not need this with the RE lift as it should be a true 4" or slightly more.

-I dont know anything about square driveshafts. Sorry, cant help you here.

Does this answer your question?

FWIW,
Brian

-

Allright;

What's your wheel and tire choice? If you have a certain look in mind, like fat deep dish rims, and 3.5"es of bs, then your going to need to do some trimming with either lift.

Frankly, RE is one of the best riding suspensions your going to find. You don't want to lift your rig, then find out that it rides like crap.

This thing about you not going to wheel it much, is going to change. My experience with a 4x4 is that if I have it, I'm eventually going to use it off-road.

Give us all the info, Budget, tires and wheels you want to use. Heck, find a pic of a rig on here that you like, and we'll take it from there.

i like my RE lift

look around, see what other people have done, do your hw for yourself, you'll be happier in the end.

square driveshaft - no way. thats for a rock rig only, it won't be balanced.

final thought, you're lookin' at way more than $1400

alright so this is what im kinda tryin to accomplish
newtiresbn7.jpg

I think the specs on this was 4" lift and 31" tires
4inch33tirestq3.jpg

This is a jeep with a 4" or 4.5" lift and 33" tires...(probally what i wanna go with and another jeep that i like
58254214mw7.jpg

so with money wise (just the lift nothin else) what am i lookin at for this idea?? Could i part together a RE kit that could possibly be cheaper??

OK update..

This is what im lookin at....
3" spring pack kit (Rustys) $418.00
JKS Quick Disconnects $127.00
Pitman drop (do i need one?) $59.00
T case Drop (do i need one?) $20.00
A/A SYE w/ Tom Woods driveshaft (do i need one?) $480.00
2" shackles (non greaseable) $49.95
1 3/4" coil spacers + $40.95
$1,193.95

Now without certain pieces
3" spring pack kit (Rustys) $418.00
JKS Quick Disconnects $127.00
2" shackles (non greaseable) $49.95
1 3/4" coil spacers + $40.95
$634.00

so.. will this work??
Do i need the "optional" parts i have listed
I would like to have the quick disconnects
MOST importantly, are these prices competitive???

Rusty's lifts are great. I love mine. You're going to need an SYE for your XJ. Its a newer style which is more prone to driveline vibes. You dont need a drop pitman arm at 4", and if you're getting an sye you dont need a tcase drop. but you will need shims in the back to get your angles correct. if you get shackles, get greaseable ones.

If your just building a mall crawler, make sure you get bushwacker flares :spin3:

keil?

so i just bought a 4.5 inch lift from rustys and a engine tranny skid and a SYE and tom wood drive shaft for bout 1700 with shipping (dont forget about that) i did research for a good month or two before i bought anything. and i would recommend doing the lift and tires first and then going with your roof rack and lights.

Back