• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will disabled ABS throw a Check Engine light?

DesertXJ68

NAXJA Forum User
I spoke with the emissions testing place in Phoenix and they do not check the ABS system when testing vehicles. I know if I disable the ABS it will give an ABS light but will it also give a check engine light? A little background; I want to convert to rear discs on my 99 Cherokee but I have a D35 with ABS. I want to switch either to a better axle (for strength) and install discs or upgrade the D35 and put disc brakes of a ZJ on it. Did they even make a D35 that has rear ABS disc brakes on it? I just really want to know if anyone that has disabled the ABS, does it throw an engine light as well as the ABS light?

Well, my '92 had the rear D35 swapped to a 8.25" before I bought it. The ABS light was on so, I yanked the bulb. Sorry, not much help.

The short anwser is: No.

That is the reason you have a ABS and a "brake" warning light. The CE light deals with only things the vehicle computer finds fault with.

Hope that helps.

Sig220 said:
The short anwser is: No.

That is the reason you have a ABS and a "brake" warning light. The CE light deals with only things the vehicle computer finds fault with.

Hope that helps.
It does help thanks. Someone at the emissions testing palce said there are some vehicles that the different systems "talk" to one another and might throw a code, but I didnt think the Jeep was that fancy! Thanks again...

Back